Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Iciban's Sketchbook

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Iciban polycounter lvl 10
Hey, its been a while since I posted something. Instead of making multiple threads. I'm just going to post all my wip and finished work here.

Here's a handpainted prop I just finished. Let me know what you guys think. C&C are encouraged!

Replies

• Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I like the style. I think if the blade was a tad longer it would be more effective looking. I do think that your texture is too muddy. It looks like you put the same grime on every thing if that makes sense. The metals are losing some of their metalness if you will. Also I feel like the light source is a little washy washy. The cloth is giving me some issei too. MIT seems really flat but that could be due to the lighting. Keep posting please! I want to see more cool designs
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! I tweaked a bit last night. Here's an updated pic with the concept. For the style, I really liked Daniel Orive handpainted style. Therefore I went more towards that look. Tends to have a lot of grittiness. Here's the pic.
    Still trying different styles. Trying to get the feel for things.
    Going to move on to my next asset, but feel free to rip it apart! I'll remember and apply it to the next one I'm working on.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I like how consistent the rendering is. The soft, local 'omnis' also work well. I'd consider putting more light emphasis on the top of the weapon, the tip of the sword. Also, don't apply light where it's dark, and then overlay it with black gradient. If you look at the hilt, the highlights along each red band should fade at the middle. Thirdly, try accentuating the materials' properties. Cloth would have soft scratches (perhaps revealing grey strands), the green glass could be more smooth & chromatic, etc.
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Here's my new wip. I'm getting close to done. Got to put the feathers and some texture tweaks. Also need to add some more glow on certain spots. As for the gems, once I have the feathers placed. Going to darken the bottom more.
    Critiques are encouraged!

• N-gon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N-gon polycounter lvl 5
    DUDE! theses rock!
  • N-gon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N-gon polycounter lvl 5
    a cool trick is to make the top more bright and darken the lower part. maybe not as much lol staff.jpg
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. I think i'm about done. Let me know what you guys think.

• Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    This is absolutely gorgeous :o
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to call this done. I did a tiny geo tweak for the top crystal. Added more glow on the bottom and top and gave the top crystals a bit more blueish, purple hue to it. Hope you guys like it.
    Now to the next one!

• Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, its been a while. Finally got a chance to try out this new bent normal map workflow.

Finished my sculpt and done my bake. Just on to texturing. The bake was a huge headache tho.
    Here's my progress so far. still a long way to go

earthweapon_wip01.jpg
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its been a while since I last updated this prop. Want to push and get this done. Here's the progress so far. The texture still needs some more love, but its getting close.
    C&C are encouraged!

ea7EhaTl.jpg?1
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    This last one looks great! Very close to the concept, every little branch. Very well done. So far I just can't see much material definition, but I'm not sure if you've worked on that or is that just a maya screenshot.
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @razz - Thanks for the critique! Yea I still need to define the material some more. This is going to be pure diffuse.

Just a small update
    fv2S4cRl.jpg?1
  • gloriousczar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gloriousczar polycounter lvl 6
    Hey this is lookign pretty good and it's really faithful to the concept which is awesome. A couple crits though:

The wood is looking pretty flat still, the concept has some really nice red tones and I think you could push that a bit further. The blue parts have a bit more pink in the concept that you should try to add in to your model.

The shadows and dark areas in the concept aren't really black either, they have a purple-y hue to them or blue in some areas which might add some richness to the model if that makes sense.

The material of the lighter piece of the club is unclear to me. I can't really tell what it's supposed to be in the concept either, so maybe make it a light stone for more material variation and better definition?

Going back to what n-gon said too, maybe a bit of a gradient from bottom to top will help make the model look a bit less flat.

This thread is sweet though man, keep going!

paintover.jpg
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the critique kurt!
    Going to call this done. Went for a different kind of handpainted style. Kept a bit of realism, but still contain the handpainted look.

• gloriousczar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gloriousczar polycounter lvl 6
    Haha no problem man, it turned out awesome, and I like the presentation with the silhouette and concept in there. What are you gonna work on next?
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to do a fanart and recreate the commanders room from MGS. I'll probably create its own thread.
    Btw forgot to upload the highpoly sculpt. Here it is!

• Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

hey, its been a while again. Ended up reworking an art test I did for pvz since I wasn't too happy about it. I introduce you to the cow bus. I made 2 vers, a PBR ver and a handpainted ver. This is the handpainted ver. Can't, but feel somethings missing. The glass is still wip. I personally think its the car paint thats not feeling right. C&C is encouraged!

• Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its finally done! Made two vers. One PBR and the other Diffuse only.

• Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's something i'm currently working on. Think i'm getting close. Still need to tweak some stuff. Trying out a new workflow. Question about Quixel, is there anyway to change the color ID in an existing project?
     C&C is encouraged!

• Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, so here's another update. I ended up removing the Skin texture due to being out of place. currently for that area, I'm not too sure what kind of material I should go for. Here's some quick material mashups for visual. I'm more leaning towards the last one. What do you guys think?

• Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    officially done! tEnded up making couple vers. Shoutout to the quixel team. powerful program

• Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's something I've been working on. its close to finish.. I just have to make some adjustments on some colours/ tweak a few spots. For the vents, I'm thinking of adding emissive to it.
    C&C is encouraged!

• Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally finished! A model of a garbage compactor. Hope you guys like it.

• Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Finally finished this art piece. Took a lot longer, but I learned a lot from this project. This project was focused on creating a modular set. Everything is using a tileable texture except for the door which is a unique piece.

For textures and more shots, check it out on artstation

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/o9w6J