Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP hard surface modeling in Maya - dirt racer car

sorry if it's too many images.
So here's me trying my hand at sub div hard surface modelling with just using Maya. First time trying a car and I'm pretty new to hard surface in general. Currently working on the wheels and the interior of where the wheels are.
I chose this particar off-road racer because it sorta fit a theme of a scene I'm working on, which is a sci fi / after apocalypse setting.
Any crits or comments are welcome! I will do a low poly version later, so I'll listen to any advice (if Im lucky enough to get feedback) before I start on that.
I'm hoping I can include it in my portfolio if it turns out good. Or I dunno if this is too "average joe" for you guys since everyone else here posts amazing stuff :poly122:!

and here's the reference images from google that I used:
https://www.google.com.hk/search?q=rally+fighter&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=koy4UqPGAcTJiAfE1IDgCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1214&bih=668&dpr=1.25

uV7ojNX.png
1g8Rh9K.png
usbZ4nH.png
l3EXoVl.png
9hyV1vR.png
PfwanF4.png
l5Xru9a.png
BaWLQwN.png
KSSSgOr.png
rHTmGKA.png
F6c7iUs.png
0bk1krJ.png
TeMK9wH.png

Replies

• GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    I like it, real nice clean wireframe too, looking forward to seeing some updates
  • Fisher007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fisher007 polycounter lvl 8
    Nice topo! Are you working towards movies or game industry (or both)? Because I started to work on hard surface vehicles as well, but it will be made for a game and I was always wondering if it is a possible approach to use subD then convert it to polys. :)Btw, I'm creating it in Zbrush and will retopo it later.

Keep it up!
  • Decoyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update. Back from the holidays and did some additions.

Added wheels and made an attempt at modelling the part behind the wheel.
    I have a problem with modelling the part behind the wheel. I want to make it as simple as possible, since that part won't be seen much, but in reality it has a bunch of connecting pipes everywhere among other stuff. So I sort of tried to improvise a bit, but I'm not sure if it's working. Weird as in if a car designer engineer or car enthusiast took a look at the part behind the wheels, I'm sure he would be like wtf how does this function? Well what I'm trying to say is I tried to fake it but not sure if it worked or is noticable. Although I'm a guy, I'm afraid I know alot less about cars than the average folk.

DSJNUVY.png
    rGq6SmU.png
    0ugPf8k.png
    Am0DhbV.png
    olbSEzP.png
    Rr0sloG.png
    X5rms3v.png
    b4EBgyZ.png

@Fisher007 thanks man! Well I'm looking to go into games, if I was more interested in film I probably wouldn't check out this forum regularly :). Not sure I totally understand your question but if you model in subDiv, don't you already get the poly for free?
  • Decoyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added a quick tread but not sure if it looks ok. Also did a few overall minor adjustments.

zzzzzzz.png
    zzz1.png
    zzz2.jpg
    zzz5.png
    zzz3.png