Home› Technical Talk

Maya - how to make look selections?

Hello,

I have a problem with making loop selections in Maya. It usually makes the first loop as I want it - e.g. horizontally. However, when I pick the next two polygons it will always make a vertical selection and go up and down instead sideways.

So how can I avoid Maya from selecting loops in a "cross" fashion? I can't find the options to get only horizontal or only vertical selection for the loop of my choice.

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    are you still talking about loops or rings, well either way. Try using the control+rmb marking menu which contains mayas selection tools.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    This, right?

Capture.PNG

Maya is easily confused when trying to select more than one face loop. Not sure why. If you are trying to select 2 adjacent face loops, you can select the edge loop between them and convert the selection to faces, which will result in both face loops being selected.

If you are trying to select multiple face loops that are not adjacent, you can select one edge, and use the Ctrl + RMB menu as passerby mentioned to go Edge Ring Utilities > To Edge Ring, and once again Ctrl + RMB > To Faces > To Faces.

The Ctrl + RMB radial menu options are also all under the Select menu at the top of the window, in case you don't like the radial menu.

Ctrl + F11 converts a selection to faces as well.
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for adding the picture Bartalon! I thought to Maya users this problem must be self-explanatory, but it is good to have pictures! I also had a typo in the title, so apologies for that!

So Maya is just bad at making selections, hm? I usually isolate what I am working on an make a marquee selection in one of the ortho views. Works too, but I think a 3D tool should be able to make 2 of the same ring selections in a row ^^

I'm self-taught at Maya, so every new shortcut I learn means my 3D life is getting better :)