Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand-Painted Knight

steven.engel.craven
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
steven.engel.craven polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys! I've started playing around with hand-painted textures a bit. Any comments and critiques are really appreciated! :D

SuitofArmorPolycountShowcase_zpsff823bd3.png

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Are there enough tris there to allow for clean deformations at the limbs?
  • steven.engel.craven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe not? I've never done a super low-poly character before, so I was using this thread:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61079

as a reference. I won't really know for sure until I try out a test rig.
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Great start! I think you should spend some more time on your texture. Really work in some color to all of the grey metals. There are a lot of good opportunities to bounce that gold around too!

The other thing that I noticed is the contrast difference between the top and bottom half of the body. You can notice it a lot on the back side of the body. The bottom part of the body looks like it lacks the AO that the top part of the torso receives.

There is some distortion happening on the gold trim of the shoulders, adding more geo or turning the faces will alleviate that.

Working in a top down lighting will have push the presentation of it all. Work in those gradients!

Sorry for the wall of text, hope this helps.
  • steven.engel.craven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits guys! I've tried tweaking the textures some, still need to work on the geometry more...

SuitofArmorShowcaseUpdate2_zps5829e0af.png
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    Looking really good. You might want to try to push your Highlights & Lowlights the armor is looking a little dull

It will also help to bring a slight touch of yellow into your highlights as well as blue in your lowlights
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I agree with Carl. It's starting to look really nice, but could definitely be pushed further in value/contrast, and I'd look at beefing up some of the bevels/edges to help the pieces read better. Maybe add in a bit more bounce light as well.

Hopefully this will give you some ideas to play with.
    paintover.jpg