Home General Discussion

Monoprice 19" tablet monitor, another cintiq alternative for around $400

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
Don't know if people saw it yet, or already are using one (feel free to share experiencese ;)

But I saw another alternative for the cintiq pop up on the net, at a VERY competitive price.

http://frenden.com/post/69444810884/review-monoprice-19-tablet-monitor-wacom-take-heed

Just a head's up!

Are these things good for sculpting? (tablet monitors in general) i've heard a lot of different opinions about these things and 3D work.

Replies

• breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    can't beat that price point, but a 1440x900 res is a deal breaker for me.
  • Kridian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kridian polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, that resolution would have to get boosted for me to pull the trigger. I have one of their 10"x6" pads (MP1060-HA60) and it's been great.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Price is awesome, but I'd much rather pay another couple hundred and get a nice screen. Still, it's nice to see more competition.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, looks like its a cheap TN panel with poor viewing angles, which is like the worst possible choice for a panel in a cintiq type device.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I haven't tried this particular product, but I have used a Monoprice graphics tablet in the past and I have to say imo it was pretty awful, especially if you are used to using Wacom Intuos tablets. It's really good you're asking for people's opinions on this because I don't trust some of the Monoprice reviews you'll find online. If you can afford it, I'd recommend going for the cintiq. At least you know you're getting the best quality product out there.

As for tablet monitors vs graphics tablets, it's a very personal thing. You have to try one for yourself and see how it feels. I personally prefer using a large Intuos 5 tablet with 2x 27" 2560x1440 monitors because I find it easier to work with the extra screen space, but some people find screen space less of an issue and feel more comfortable with a more direct interface like a tablet monitor.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Someone finally got one here, and I tested it. I do not like it at all. I would rather use a regular tablet (or someone buy me a cintique).

A regular tablet fine by the way, just take your time to get hand-screen coordination down.
  • Stinkfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    I saw some dissapointing replies elsewhere as well, good to know, for all! ye be waaaarned!
  • JHFerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its a knock off of the Huion GT-190. Huion is working on a 22 IPS display, I think you will see a third crack from Yiynova as well with DVI.