Home Technical Talk

3ds Max 2014 2D Reference Image

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Tekoa polycounter lvl 4
I honestly think the new 2D Pan/Zoom mode is garbage.
As a result of this new garbage method, I use a plane object, and apply my reference image as a material. When I do image based modeling, I usually use the left viewport, to create the basic shape. In previous 3ds Max versions, I used wireframe to do this, but now that I use a plane, the plane itself is wired, along with the actual model.

Due to this, I cannot see the reference image. This is really annoying and I have yet to figure out a way around this. Is there a property that allows the plane to freeze as a shaded plane? Or does the viewport mode apply to every object regardless?

*This post is beyond ancient, please pay no attention...*

Replies

• Tekoa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoa polycounter lvl 4
  • Creckle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello, this works in 3dsmax 2013 for me:

rightclick plane with reference - object properties - uncheck show frozen in gray

create new material, animate opacity, first frame 100% last frame about 20%, apply material to model

bind this to a button that is easy to reach (i have it on mouse thumb)
    macroScript FrameToggler category:"MyScripts"
    (
        if slidertime != 0f then (max time start) else (max time end)
    )

• Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    Sup. I always use a plane and apply my ref as a material. Here's my tips:

When you make your plane that you are going to apply your ref to, make sure it doesnt have any length or width segments - this will make the wireframe of it less busy.

To freeze your plane (make it unselectable) but keep the ref material showing up, put your ref image on the plane, then right click the plane (with it selected) and go to object properties. In interactivity, check on freeze, and in display properties, uncheck "show frozen in gray."

Now when you say "create the basic shape" I'm guessing you start with some sort of poly primitive and then shape it how you want it by editing in subobject mode (verts, polys, edges etc...) To see your ref image but still be able to work with your basic shape, just leave your viewport at
    smooth+highlights (F3) and turn your wireframe on and off with F4. You will want your wireframe on (to see the wires of your basic shape) and then use "Display as See-Through Toggle" (default Alt+X) to work.

This will let you see your ref and see your basic shape wireframe.

Let me know if you get this workflow down and it's good for you.
  • Tekoa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoa polycounter lvl 4
    I appreciate the response from both of you, however, neither of them work.

@Creckle
    I applied the material, and set the opacity at 100% at the first key, and 20% at the last. Scrolling throughout the animation there was no change. Binding the code, and using it, also did nothing.

@Memory
    The plane was already frozen and "show frozen in gray" was unchecked. When I use the Display as See-Through, it is not very effective, it is a really dense gray color, is there a way I can make it more transparent?
    Also, when I toggle wireframe, the model itself goes into wireframe, as well as the plane, which I do not want.
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    OK man, one more thing and this is pretty much it because between myself and Creckle, we have shown you all the possible ways.

Make a new material then:
    1. check this wire box to make it a "wireframe" material
    2. I picked a bright ass color
    3. turn self illumination up to 100 so lighting doesnt affect your object

Apply this material to what you want to see wireframe only on. To toggle it on and off use that wire checkbox. This material makes the object display wireframe in every single viewport mode.

eCHoktE.jpg
  • Tekoa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoa polycounter lvl 4
    Seems that is the best I'll get. Thanks guys.