I tell you why. MONEY and TIME
  • Tejay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    Snacuum wrote: »
    So why are people afraid then eh?

I tell you why. MONEY and TIME

While that's very true there are more reasons. But you will find the people who do succeed don't let that fear cripple them. They work through it. Nothing worth doing will ever be easy and you may very well fail. But I'll taking trying and failing every time, over giving up.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Upon opening this video, I thought "this dude seems bitter". However, he speaks the truth! Tejay is on the right track as well. If you fail, don't give up. Just try again. You can't sit comfortably and expect good things to come to you.

Each time you fail you will slowly but surely increase in your skill and integrity in whatever you're fixated on.

..except calculus. Nobody likes calculus.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKHTawgyKWQ"]Why you will fail to have a great career: Larry Smith at TEDxUW - YouTube[/ame]

Embedded for the lazy. 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKHTawgyKWQ'
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    One of my all time fav talks from TED so far.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Sorry, just being bitter is all. These days I find the argument that one should just follow their passions to tiresome these days. What I was getting at is that people who are afraid to do what is necessary more than likely fear a loss of financial security and/or a loss of time. Passions and interests all take time, nobody pays you to find your passion and getting that money takes time.

I doubt we'd be so obsessed about having a great career if it wasn't a requirement for our validation.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Good ted talk

Fear is the most powerful of all emotions in my opinion and it has the most inhibiting effect on humans. Many people throughout history who have achieved greatness have always been looked upon with awe but they where not fearless people they simply chose not to let fear distract or consume them.
    Fear stifles our thinking and actions. It creates indecisiveness that results in stagnation. I have known talented people who procrastinate indefinitely rather than risk failure. Lost opportunities cause erosion of confidence, and the downward spiral begins.

Charles Stanley
  • aleksdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i never get motivated by "why you will fail" speeches. not ever
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    thos talks don´t make sense to me. the only reason you will eventually succeed if you keep trying, is that other people who try the same thing, will give up for whatever reason.
    those talks seem to suggest that everyone can be a navi-general if he tries hard enough and that is what he truly wants to be. but an army only needs one generall and a lot of soldiers.
    just as society needs a lot of mc donalds employees and definetly no more psychology students.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But if everyone settles for being a soldier, who is going to be general? And why shouldn't it be you?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Wow, that was really ... uninspiring and bland, wasn't it ? The forced attempts at wit were painful to listen to.

He basically just repeated himself the whole way through, with no real point to make or experience to share. "You will fail" sounds exactly like "You are a special snowflake", with the only difference being that the audience is in on the joke, ha ha ha.

Meh ! I'd rather listen to some good old Hitchens and Louis CK :D
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    WarrenM wrote: »
    But if everyone settles for being a soldier, who is going to be general? And why shouldn't it be you?

cause if you are likely to not get there, you might just save the money and time you will waste by trying and spend it on something usefull, like improving your personal life.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whatever works for you. I'd prefer to aim high and miss rather than not take the shot at all.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I'm fine being a soldier without a general. Most generals are probably going to think of themselves as soldiers, anyway.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    These motivation threads are starting to get boring.

I hate to see how some people like to proclaim themselves as the owners of the truth and wisdom. Why you will fail... shhhh go home, go home...

This man does not say anything new but i'm sure he earns a lot of $$ with silly people with no brains (no offense).
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Seems that the video thread should be the home of these ;')
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    Snacuum wrote: »
    What I was getting at is that people who are afraid to do what is necessary more than likely fear a loss of financial security and/or a loss of time. Passions and interests all take time, nobody pays you to find your passion and getting that money takes time.

I think the fear and worry of time and money creates much more of an obstacle than real time and real money ever could. Sure, nobody will pay you to do what you wanna do, but that's not a great excuse to tell yourself you can't do it. I think a successful person sees that a lot better than one who fails.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was annoying to listen to, guy doesnt even lift.

I'm more fan of these kind of video;s

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAXAIoSr33w"]BEST MOTIVATIONAL VIDEO 2013! - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXJ1FZKwI7c"]You are limitless - Motivation - YouTube[/ame]
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Rens wrote: »

I'm more fan of these kind of video;s

Yep.

The question then becomes, what are the steroids for art?
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Yep.

Practice & caffeine
  • Stinkfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    This one still makes me smile and push on.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLO7tCdBVrA
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    redhonour wrote: »
    I think the fear and worry of time and money creates much more of an obstacle than real time and real money ever could. Sure, nobody will pay you to do what you wanna do, but that's not a great excuse to tell yourself you can't do it. I think a successful person sees that a lot better than one who fails.

Well I was placing the emphasis on the obstacle of time and money in and of itself. I for one would be a happier person if activities and responsibilities took no time away from any others, as I would also be if I was free from the needs of money to survive.

In relation to the video I think my point works best for when he talked about using your children as an excuse. While he's right to say we should just use them as an excuse, I think it's folly to discount the serious amount of time and money a family may be. I know some polycounters will disagree but if your career needs you to be that fucking passionate and that fucking hard-working then of course you can't just drop your responsibilities. So people are afraid, because they're multifaceted, they can't just swap one love for another and they can't take that chance that failure will mean failing your children as well.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Yep.

Mountains of LSD with a sprinkling of Adderall, so it seems.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That seems all well and fine until your fingers start melting into the keyboard and you can't get away from the bunny wielding a chainsaw screaming Yippy Kay yay Motherfucker!
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    This explains why people are afraid in detail(I don't mean to say people should be afraid.):

Why No One Really Wants Creativity (Barry M. Staw)

Also, game dev. steroids :icon60: :

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR0WN55p_zI"]Half Life Snacks - YouTube[/ame]
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I thought this speech was pretty lousy. Yeah he made points as to why I'm sure a lot of people wont ever have a good career but he really just repeated himself over and over.

I have a fucking awesome career, and I had a lot of fear getting there so I dont subscribe to that idea.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Success is a long string of failures. Most people are scared of failing so they make up excuses." Shocking.

As far as TED talks go, this one isn't particularly great. I kept waiting for the guy to get to an interesting or profound point but he just kept dancing around anything that could have made any kind of an impact.

You could pretty much get that advice by asking any older person, about living with regrets.

That Bob Ross remix was great.
    He was on TV a lot in our house when I was growing up my mom would record and watch him, when I was doing homework. I don't remember him being that syrupy-sweet but I guess that comes out when you distill him down to a remix.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Yep.

I saw a show about Transcraniel Magnetic Stimulation - they zapped a part of a students brain and they suddenly drew a whole magnitude better
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw a show about Transcraniel Magnetic Stimulation - they zapped a part of a students brain and they suddenly drew a whole magnitude better

hmm This is fairly interesting. Even the mayoclinic had a writeup about it, although their research and process were geared more towards treating depression.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah? Where is this and who do I make the check out to?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    If I recall the effects only lasted about 15-20 minutes, I'm not sure how safe having your brain repeatedly stimulated that way would be.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Safer than a snort of coke at the same interval, I think.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Stirls wrote: »
    ..except calculus. Nobody likes calculus.
    This guy gets it.
  • Rhesyuzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhesyuzz polycounter lvl 9
    Goeddy wrote: »
    thos talks don´t make sense to me. the only reason you will eventually succeed if you keep trying, is that other people who try the same thing, will give up for whatever reason.
    those talks seem to suggest that everyone can be a navi-general if he tries hard enough and that is what he truly wants to be. but an army only needs one generall and a lot of soldiers.
    just as society needs a lot of mc donalds employees and definetly no more psychology students.
    Sad but true!