Home Technical Talk

What are these dots in my bake?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Chase polycounter lvl 9
I've done everything to try getting rid of these, but all of a sudden Max2012 seems to have just broken on me. Render times are slow as can be, and now I'm getting these random dots. I've tried upping the resolution to get rid of these dots and sampling up and anything else I can think of. Not to mention this grid line in the middle of the bake. I'm pulling my hair out here folks :poly127:

xx9c.jpg

When I apply to the model using the standard material in Max it looks good
q0mc.jpg

However, using 3point or Xoliul it looks awful
f713.jpg

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    mind showing your normal map?
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    qlhd.jpg

Edit: just figured out why i was getting these shader errors. I reset Xform, which still didn't help, but then on a whim selected all the faces and flipped them. Then the heavens opened up and I could breathe again. Plus I didn't get the dots on the bake this time :poly142:
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A way to save a lot of future headaches...

Customize > Preferences > Viewports > Backface Cull on Object Creation

I think this should be the default for all game artists, since for games we should be manually creating backfaces only when we need them. And we should see in the viewport only the faces that will actually be exported.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Just looked up what it meant. Seems to save rendering time if I'm not mistaken
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase wrote: »
    Just looked up what it meant. Seems to save rendering time if I'm not mistaken
    Kind of. For games in particular, backfaces in 3ds Max are a lie. Those faces are not exported to the game. So backfaces can be misleading.

You can use a 2sided shader in a game, but it's usually a waste of polygons because u don't need every face duplicated, just some of them.

Also, can't edit the normals for those backfaces, unless you make them manually instead.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Do you know what this issue is Eric? x334.jpg

Seems like a graphics card issue all of a sudden, but it's only on this model as far as I'm aware. I've tried all the basic tests; resetting xforms, checking for unwelded verts, exported to a new scene. I've never seen this before or seen anyone else post this issue. Very perplexing as it only shows up with an AO bake.

Here's the AO. Don't mind the few cage misses
    k384.jpg
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Is this a custom material? If you apply a default gray material will it look fine?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
  • Mr Digital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Digital polycounter lvl 8
    Just Hit "Reset Xform" in utilities, that fixed those problems before with me.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    That AO looks really odd.
    It looks more like a single distance light projected from above.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Butthair - I've experienced some overheating issues with my pc so I can't be completely certain that a standard material looks normal vs the 3point material. I'll be going into my local computer store to have them reset the fan on the CPU because apparently that may be causing my "overheating". From what I remember I believe I still had a bit of a shadow down there even with a standard material, but again I can't be certain at the moment. What would be the reasoning behind a standard material not shading right?

Noors - Yep gamma was on

Mr Digital - Trust me, that was the first thing I tried haha

Vailias - It does look weird. Just like what I said to Butthair, I would check what my other AOmaps looked like after rendering if I could get on my pc. Any reason why this might be having this projection look?