Home Unreal Engine

Sorting issues on double sided material

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
Hey, I've been testing out UDK's material editor with some old models and I'm getting some sorting errors on transparencies.

m7qHfp6.png

Anybody have any idea how to fix this? I've tried every combination of settings under the translucency menu.

Replies

• Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Translucency is a bit touchy in UDK, if the vertex geometry is close enough to one another then it can cause this kind of issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're using this to have the shreds at the ends then use Masked instead of Translucent (I think it's called Masked, or else Cutoff, can't recall).
    This renders it like opaque geometry.

The other reason could lurk in the alpha mask. Although I'm not sure how to address fixing that.

Transparency should only be used for things that are obviously transparent, like water falling snow. You can fake a lot of transparency with this kinda of material with clever use of fresnels or cubemaps and a directional vector.

So yeah, the quick fix is change it to Masked, or whatever it's called. The only big difference between the two is that you get a smooth alpha fade, but I doubt it's noticeable during gameplay.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, thanks. That fixed it right away.
  • Santewi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    99.9% of the time it's better to use 2 separate materials, one opaque and one transparent. Even with a completely white alpha, the material is not 100% opaque if you're using translucency.