Home General Discussion

Risk of Rain

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
EmAr polycounter lvl 18
http://riskofraingame.com/

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj4UeGEOzmo"]Risk of Rain [OFFICIAL CO-OP GAMEPLAY] - YouTube[/ame]

Anyone playing this game? It's a 2D platform shooter with some randomized elements. It's so much fun until you die. Because once you die, you need to start over just like in the old days. There are tons of different items, enemies and bosses too!

If anyone wants to try the multiplayer, add me on Steam

Replies

• ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    I beat it recently and man it was SO FUN. This is a blast to just boot up and mess around for anywhere between 10 and 90 minutes. Recommended++, I'm down to play some multiplayer with some people as well. Although right now the only way to play with other people is to use Hamachi which is kind of a pain in the ass. Unless opening ports is easier for you.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Being the network configuration noob I am, Hamachi sounds easier but I don't have any good memories with that program either. I'll try Hamachi anyway. If I can make it work, I'll write here.

I have yet to beat level 4 BTW. Am I still a noob? :P
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I beat the game on medium and easy, its a lot of fun, I love co-op, but it's a pain to find games. On the Reddit subreddit for the game, there is a website with a server list that does work well for joining strangers games.

The different classes make replaying the game a lot of fun, it basically feels like a side scoller version of Binding of Isaac.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Loving this game.

Have beaten it once with Acrid, and that last level was so frantic.

If you're finding you're getting stuck at a certain point, try to find an area of a map that's easily defendable, and let your time run into the harder difficulties - More enemies will spawn and you'll get more pickups and level up further than just rushing through the levels as fast as you can (which I've seen a lot of people do). That way, I got to a point where my character was pretty much invulnerable :D

Playing as the engineer, now. His thermal harpoons as well as the missile launcher pickup is a pretty decent combo.
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Never heard of it. But I guess i'll try it, looks really fun. :D
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I was wondering where the craze for this game came from. Literally in the last few days half my friends list purchased this game haha.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Anyone wanna get in on a 4-way?
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I've been playing it by myself and buddies at work during lunch! Perfect game for lunch-runs! Really fun and very hard :D I really love it. The soundtrack is amazing as well!
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Duh, I failed to make this online co-op thing work but I found a server list page if anyone wants to try.

http://riskofrain.cyber-dev.net:11100/

BTW I beat the game as well. Great game, excellent replay value. I hope these guys earn the money they deserve.
    The music when you return to the ship is so awesome.

EDIT: Also, soundtrack:

http://chrischristodoulou.bandcamp.com/album/risk-of-rain
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Just started it today during lunch break.. died trying to get into the teleporter... THIS IS SO MUCH FUN!!! How do I unlock the other characters? Just by natural progression? Or do I have to do anything specific.. oh man... The indie scene honestly has been reinvigorating my love for gaming. I also bought Escape Goat and a few other indie titles I need to find time to dive into.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    New characters unlock as you spend time in the game as far as I understand. Several chacters were unlocked before I completed the game for the first time. I still have some to unlock.

This game really got me back into playing games as well. I would play some L4D2 for about 1 hour per week and that was all until this came out. I play it almost everyday.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    My favorite part of this game? Drops you in. Then you start playing. :3 No long tutorials.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There's a few characters you have to find in the maps/levels. Without spoiling anything, one is on the last level, one is on Magma Barracks, one is on the Sunken Tombs (or water level). If you want to know exactly where, look it up. But they do no spawn everything, but they aren't extremely rare either, I think it's probably a 50-50 thing for most of them. The characters are hidden in the same spot on each level, just explore if you want to find them without looking it up.

The other characters are unlocked by mostly progressing through and beating the game, I think it specifics of their unlocks are listed in the game under the scores and unlockables.