Home Technical Talk

zBrush zRemesher creating horrid topology...

martynball
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
martynball polycounter lvl 10
I'm creating a Dragon for a University project, i'm in the process of retoping it before I start to add details. As you can see in the attachments, i'm having some issues with zRemesher, any ideas why it's creating this terrible mesh at the base of the tail?

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Have you tried applying guide curves in that area with the zRemesher curve brush?
  • martynball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martynball polycounter lvl 10
    It has loads of them, they didn't render out. I have just removed the PolyPaint and left the mesh as it is, seems to be okay for now.
  • JustColorado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustColorado triangle
    Are you trying to retopologize the whole dragon in one pass?

I had some really bad results with character models when I tried to do the whole model at once. it seems that zRemesher does an awesome job on simple shapes, but sometimes gets stuck on really confusing shapes like dragons. Also I want more detail in some places and less in others. You can't really tell zRemesher to do this.

I was able to get good results by splitting my model it into 5 or 10 meshes, retopologizing different pieces separately, and then welding them back together in Max.
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    The polypaint for mesh density doesn't have a smooth transition, try smoothing it by setting your smooth brush to RGB only.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    martynball wrote: »
    It has loads of them, they didn't render out.

I believe zRemesher works better with fewer guide curves. The ZRemesherGuides brush is intended to designate general polygon flow; the resulting curves won't translate to actual edges/edge loops. If you're looking to convert curves to precise topology, you should look at using the Topology brush.
    I have just removed the PolyPaint and left the mesh as it is, seems to be okay for now.
    Are you saying the polypaint data had something to do with what happened?