Home Technical Talk

Zbrush hard surface problem

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Fisher007 polycounter lvl 8
Hi,

I'm working on a car design currently, following this tutorial: http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/vehicle-design/.

I found it really helpful, although I got stuck in one point and thought I ask around here if anybody has some good tips for me. smile.png So I would like to make a vent on the front of my car, I'm trying to use the same method that is used for the wholes of the tires in the tut (Car Design Part 1, 4:30). I made a new polygroup for the shape, then an edge loop. I use it to mask out everything else and then use the transpose to move it in. My problem is that the vertices on the edge of the mask will be stretched all the way. It seems to me that it's good in the tutorial so I might miss something. :poly141:

VzGXwgV.jpg

TQuw0KL.jpg

If I ctrl click on the mask to blur it, then the blur goes too far away and breaks the nice and polished edge and the edge loop as well.

gYc9Flh.jpg

zU2uqhe.jpg

Thanks for the help in advance! smile.png
Fisher

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Bump, because I am also having similar troubles. Anyone?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Ctrl+transpose will extrude, instead of simply just moving the polygons
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Im no way a zbrush expert, but when this kind of thing happens to me, what i do is use polypainting to establish a polygroup and paint locally to recreate the border i wish fixed, masking seems to have sharper edges onces i do this little workflow.

1) Select --> Layer brush
    2) Change Primary color to Blue (or any color you like)
    3) Set Rgb "On" from the toolbar
    4) Rgb intensity 100 (or whatever intensity you want)
    5) Zadd - Zsub must be "On"
    6) Paint areas of the mesh you would like fixed
    7) Polygroup menu --> create new polygroup from polypaint
    8> At this point you can either mask or unmask trouble area, and rebuild from there.
  • keupon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fisher, I think I see what you want to do, and peanut even if that's still another valid technique it is not the same at all as the technique Fisher want to use. ( No offense at all just trying to help :) )

cryid is right, that's the fancy quick way to extrude with transpose, but I think you can only do in the lowest subdiv ( maybe freezing the levels ? don't know ).

So what you want to do ( I've seen tuts with this method ), you make some polygroup(s) to define the aera(s) that will be "extruded", and do groupsloops so it adds a edge loop around the group(s), so when you move it you don't have the "stretching" problem. See with the middle part, you can see you have some loops around it and it looks ok, but the upper and lower part I think you didn't do grouploops because I can't see no edgeloop around it, so it will "smooth" in the way that you don't want.

So you need to hide everything but the two blue azur polygroups and do grouploops, then with only those two groups visible just move them where you want, or if you want to do it with everything shown, mask everything ( with still only those two parts shown ), unhide all, invert the mask and then move ( so the mask stays sharp and in the right place ).

If the result still isn't sharp enough I think you can fix it adding more loops with grouploops.

It should do the trick :)

Also, check panel loops, I don't know well about it yet but I think it's kinda good for those uses ( can be wrong on that one ).

Hope it helps :)
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    that's the fancy quick way to extrude with transpose, but I think you can only do in the lowest subdiv ( maybe freezing the levels ? don't know ).
    If you're doing heavy dynameshing then you should be on the lowest subdivision level, and if you're still in the process of creating polygroups/edgeloops/grouploops as well then its a requirement.

When it comes creating hard surface models in zbrush from scratch, my philosophy is to forgo subdivision levels completely in order to take advantage of all the geometry-related options it has available (along with the slice brushes, etc)
  • keupon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good practice :)

That's true, I think cryrid method is more efficient and quick than the one you try to do.

That extrude feature is quite new to zB (4R3 ???) so maybe your tutorial is older. But it's good to know it anyway :)
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks cryrid, i didn't know dynamesh could fix that, im going to check it out too with a geo later today. (no joke)
  • Fisher007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fisher007 polycounter lvl 8
    Uhh lots of useful info here, thank you very much! :)