Home General Discussion

Valve developing their own VR headset?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Dataday polycounter lvl 8
It looks as though the Oculus Rift has some competition. This should be interesting.

http://www.geek.com/games/valve-will-unveil-a-virtual-reality-headset-with-full-steam-support-in-january-1577655/

"In what seems like an inevitable step towards their all-in-one platform experience, Valve has announced they are working on their own virtual reality headset for gaming."

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Maybe they are just working with the Occulus itself, and the talks cover their integration of it ?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I thought these people left Valve to start a VR headset because Valve didn't want to make one http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/technicalillusions/castar-the-most-versatile-ar-and-vr-system
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    These guys were doing augmented reality headsets (aka projecting CG images onto a real background), not VR.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Jerc wrote: »
    These guys were doing augmented reality headsets (aka projecting CG images onto a real background), not VR.

It's actually a hybrid solution that can do AR and VR.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I'm also curious about why Valve is trying this now. The creator of the castAR did an interview a while back explaining how she and her team got into a huge fight with Gabe over their project and they all got fired (or left Valve) over the argument.

You'd think Valve would have jumped on the opportunity during that time period, but I guess there's more to the story than we know.

To be fair though, (imo) Valve has been doing some pretty bad things lately *cough* steambox.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    NegevPro wrote: »
    To be fair though, (imo) Valve has been doing some pretty bad things lately *cough* steambox.

Bad or bad ass?

Steambox is probably one of their better moves imo.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    i'd say BAD :)

Steamboxes "may" be a great move, or a step backwards... who knows. I already own a PC, and i don't need a third company (Valve) sellings PCs with Linux. I build my PCs component by component and i save a lot of money doing that.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe it's just me but I don't see what the point of the steambox is. Hardcore PC gamers don't need it because they already have their prebuilt or custom built gaming machines.

Console gamers don't want or need it because they would miss out on all of their console exclusives.

Also, if there's somebody out there who just wants a low profile box to play low profile games, they could just get an Ouya for $99.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    NegevPro wrote: »
    I'm also curious about why Valve is trying this now. The creator of the castAR did an interview a while back explaining how she and her team got into a huge fight with Gabe over their project and they all got fired (or left Valve) over the argument.

You'd think Valve would have jumped on the opportunity during that time period, but I guess there's more to the story than we know.

It seemed like castAR was just something Valve was not interesting in developing, Valve has done a lot of different UI and controller setup testing for the Oculus Rift already, it seems like they will support both, it'll be interesting to see if they help devs support both solutions on their market place. It'll be interesting to compare the Oculus Rift and Valve solution in terms of lag, resolution, immersion, and tracking. I'm looking forward to see positional tracking, rotation is great for looking around, but without positional, your head is basically locked in place.

With steam box, Valve is just trying to expand pc gaming to non technical people, and more casual gamers, I don't how that is a bad thing. Also it isn't even out yet, so it's hard to say if it's bad or not.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Maybe it's just me but I don't see what the point of the steambox is. Hardcore PC gamers don't need it because they already have their prebuilt or custom built gaming machines.

Console gamers don't want or need it because they would miss out on all of their console exclusives.

Yeah, but that leaves a lot of people in between. People who are very satisfied with their work machine (either desktop or laptop, mac or PC) but would love the idea of an affordable, certified box to play recent games on (and most likely double it as a media center). I think that's a great idea !
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Yeah, but that leaves a lot of people in between. People who are very satisfied with their work machine (either desktop or laptop, mac or PC) but would love the idea of an affordable, certified box to play recent games on (and most likely double it as a media center). I think that's a great idea !
    Well if there's a big enough market for it then why not. I would personally have no use for a device like this as I already have plenty of amazing streaming boxes at home. If I want to game on a TV I'd just buy a PS4 or an XB1. Although after looking at some of the Wii-U titles that have just come out, I'm thinking I'll get that before anything else since the games look really fun haha.