Home General Discussion

Breaking out of the CSGO workshop

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spunky polycounter lvl 11
The Items section for CSGO has been out for roughly 2 months and already it has double to amount of submissions of Team Fortress 2. That is because of how easy it is to create your own skins and upload them, even if its just a quick recolor.

I've had a few goes at it, and while I'm not the best texture artist in town, I'm at least opening the UVS and trying to create some unique skins.

What I'm getting at is...has anyone had any luck getting views/thumbs up? I look at some of the top rated submissions and they have views in the 20,000s while im sitting 70! I don't really know how to get the word out past sending links to my friends list lol

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Make a thread in pimping and previews, make youtube videos showing them off, and post on other game artists websites. Don't spam and few places, just post and let it be in a bunch of different places.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Many of the people who have a lot of views literally just spam a link to their workshop everywhere they can, including other peoples' submissions. I've had several people post onto my own workshop telling me to vote up their skins and when you say "No" they usually get angry and call your work shit.

To be honest I'm quite annoyed with how Valve went about doing this. I have seen tons of amazing skins get next to no views and a ton of crappy re-colors/image pastes be near the top. Additionally, many of the skins don't even fit the military theme and they're just flamboyant colors.

I wish Valve just allowed users to create custom textures/models then use those skins without having to acquire votes like we could do in 1.6/CZ/CSS. I'd even be fine with only me being able to see my skins.

Unfortunately in CSGO, sv_pure is forced on nearly every server so making custom skins the traditional way means giving up online play which would be pointless.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    If you didn't run sv_pure on everything then you would see Model mods and bright pink skin packs like back in the day for quake2/3. Basically cheating ...
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh wrote: »
    If you didn't run sv_pure on everything then you would see Model mods and bright pink skin packs like back in the day for quake2/3. Basically cheating ...
    In 1.6/CZ/CSS this was hardly an issue because there was a trust between players. I can understand why Valve would want to force sv_pure, but it's still annoying to have to practically pay for something that used to be free.

Meanwhile, we still don't have 128 tick MM servers, the game is plagued by cheaters (and goes on sale for $5 every other week), and Valve doesn't seem to give even a quarter of a shit.

Of course, the CSGO community is filled with asswipes and pathetic children. I have yet to play against a non-carried Global Elite that wasn't walling his ass off while talking trash. That being said, I'm sure sv_pure in CSGO is necessary.
  • Spunky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spunky polycounter lvl 11
    NegevPro wrote: »
    Many of the people who have a lot of views literally just spam a link to their workshop everywhere they can, including other peoples' submissions. I've had several people post onto my own workshop telling me to vote up their skins and when you say "No" they usually get angry and call your work shit.

Yea thats pretty much what I've been seeing. I found the csgo workshop section on here and there are some pretty amazing skins with like 30 views...then I see the top skins on the workshop and its all black awps and p90s with pictures pasted on them
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    NegevPro wrote: »
    In 1.6/CZ/CSS this was hardly an issue because there was a trust between players. I can understand why Valve would want to force sv_pure, but it's still annoying to have to practically pay for something that used to be free.

Meanwhile, we still don't have 128 tick MM servers, the game is plagued by cheaters (and goes on sale for $5 every other week), and Valve doesn't seem to give even a quarter of a shit.

Of course, the CSGO community is filled with asswipes and pathetic children. I have yet to play against a non-carried Global Elite that wasn't walling his ass off while talking trash. That being said, I'm sure sv_pure in CSGO is necessary.

So...

...it's Counter-Strike. :poly121:
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    So...

...it's Counter-Strike. :poly121:
    I've personally had a better experience on 1.6 or even Source mainly because there was no MM. While I love the MM feature they added, it has really killed off the community servers as there are only a handful of good servers to play on without an ESEA subscription.

On the older CS games, you could just find a handful of populated servers that had friendly communities then just favorite them.

I just got banned for another week (this being the 4th week in a row) because none of my friends were online so I made the mistake of solo-queuing. Got matched up with 3 garbage kids and an obvious aimbotter on my team. I called him out on it and they all votekicked me.

Oh well, according to his steam page he's VAC banned now, lol.