Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The beginnings of my portfolio

poopsterspappy
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
poopsterspappy polycounter lvl 7
Well this is it.... for better or for worse.... I've decided to stop learning (well ya never really stop) and start my first ambitious project which will include environments, props, creatures, characters, weapons and vehicles. Really excited and happy to finally do this regardless of the outcome :)

I'm in the un- referenced thumbnail stage as of now. Trying to get all those ideas out.

8beFCk6.jpg
Y5DG5fB.jpg
5IybKF4.jpg
Un5tMMA.jpg
F5VBx0o.jpg
GV3fRtZ.jpg
9VWeUTl.jpg
n6YxDOV.jpg
jYKCA6v.jpg

Thanks Av

Replies

• poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I desaturated them as the color was mindless. Never post something that isn't your final intent :(
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    I'm really digging the more fleshed out thumbnails. Are you planning to make this into a movie or a series of screenshots?
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I just want to produce a portfolio. Hopefully for games but my stuff may be better suited for film. Who knows... I'm just hoping it doesn't suck..LOL

ErilIKD.jpg
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Curious as to what you plan on specializing in? Right now it seems you are really pushing for a 2D objective? But could be wrong. While it is good to have grounding in every sector of the arts, including traditional/2D as a 3D artist, but I think if you are simply just starting a portfolio out it might be best to just pump out a few props or a character rather than a hugely ambitious project to start. It would be good to have an end goal or start working out a side project, but I think if you are pushing to get a job ASAP, the goal should be to just pump out work to show off your skill set.

Say you are trying to become a prop artist, pump out a prop set under one theme and style, and then maybe a hero prop under another style with a different theme, etc. Just really push your skill set to the limit and really show you can bring something new to the table or be a vital asset to their team.

In my current situation, I was picked up recently by a AAA studio (will remain unnamed for the time being) and they hired my not by the art I could create, but also the fact that I knew skills beyond just my prop making abilities. I can read code, know engine construction, and could work in their code based engine with little training. But what got me noticed was really just one or two of the props in my portfolio that matched their style or required skill sets for the position, combined with having connections for referrals/recommendations. Just an example of why having a grounding in other sections of development is not bad, but can help.
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to establish a visual motif or language for my alien architecture before moving on to executing a painting.
    49uJw7J.jpg
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Add3r,

Thanks for the input. I am going to be talking to my mentor soon and I am going to raise you insights to him to see what he thinks. Thanks so much:)