Home General Discussion

TED talk from videogame animator Tom

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
I stole this from Lee Amarakoon, I know some artists suffer from being insecure, and it's cool to have a talk relevent to our industry.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW8U0FKnZ7c"]Being insecure: Tom

Replies

• GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Tomas is a cool dude. Met him here in Seattle and in about 30 seconds he showed me a neat method of doing perfectly looping walk cycles.
  • aleksdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish I had time to animate.
  • Filbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filbot polycounter lvl 12
    Wow. This really resonated with me and my journey as a professional so far. Thank you for sharing.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This really hit home for me. Never expected to see something like this as a Ted talk, although I shouldn't be surprised as Ted talks always seem to come in all shapes and sizes.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Really cool, thanks for sharing!
    aleks find the time and then post in that animation thread, some great work being done in there. I am in that boat with you though - not enough time for everything.
  • RMeeks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff, thank you :)
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    This guy is a public speaking master!
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    loved this talk
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome talk. I can totally relate to this type of feeling at times. I imagine most Artist go through bouts of questioning your art.
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    Great talk! Leaves you feeling optimistic and inspired to change one's attitude towards everybody we work together with. It is nice to get a wake up jolt like this ones in a while.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Great talk indeed.

I think this is by far an issue in many other aspects of life. I know quite a few people that do nothing related to art. And from what I can see their work isn't judged in the same way like art is. Their work is jugded of course but I imagine it being judged differently. Anyway quite a few people a very insecure when it come to act with people they don't know well. It takes them a long time to find the trust in new persons or coworkers so that they can finally show their vulnerabilities and be themselfs. Problem is: It is so hard to gain that trust into people if you are unable to make the first steps and just be yourself with all your weaknesses and strengthes. In some cases (like mentioned in the talk) they are too shy / insecure to even take chances when other people approach them, trying to connect with you.

Anyway a great talk ... I will share this for sure.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno. It's entertaining and all, but it doesn't amount to much more than "You can reach your goals, I'm living proof. Beefcake!" I guess there's only so much you can do with a 15 minute talk, but I would have liked something a little more.. practical I guess.
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
    i´ve seen a lecture with him at ianimate with Jacob Gardner, which was really nice, i wanted to get the next flight to LA and hang out with them to talk about animation. The Ted talk was quite short compared to that
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You will love the book from Bren
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Now that was a great talk. A lot to take into consideration there

In retrospect, I think I might have been a little hard on Mr Jech too.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    This was awesome, can't even count how many times I've written up lengthy replies on PC attempting to give advice or crits and generally try help people out, but just go ahead and delete the post in fear that my advice might be wrong, or people might call me out as not knowing what the fuck i'm doing, which is mostly true anyway :p
    as one example anyway.

- Even thought about deleting this haha.
  • ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToffeeApple polycounter lvl 8
    Great talk!

Fwap - I'm exactly the same - always deleting before posting

I always thought of myself as shy and use that as an excuse to stay on the sidelines. I worry far too much about how my work is judged and what others think of me. So much so that I wouldn't have made this post before... I would think should I comment... what will people think if I comment... it's probably best I just don't say anything. Well this is my first step to being open.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Great talk, I've never really thought about it from that perspective. Maybe because I've never had an experience where someone complains over not getting an answer from me. Most people don't seem to care. And if it happens to you and you ask why you didn't get an answer, you come across as a needy fuck. Oh, well.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Great talk, I've never really thought about it from that perspective. Maybe because I've never had an experience where someone complains over not getting an answer from me. Most people don't seem to care. And if it happens to you and you ask why you didn't get an answer, you come across as a needy fuck. Oh, well.

This is incredibly ironic.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, I realize that. :(
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Nysuatro wrote: »
    You will love the book from Bren
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Great thread! Hitting home pretty hard and truly a wake up call. Couldn't have come at a better time as i've been super stressed lately and struggling a lot with my own vulnerability and didn't even realise it till I watched the above Vids.

p.s. I almost deleted post this for fear of the few people that know me on these boards reading it.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I was talking to another artist on twitter the other day about Art and Fear, which is a fantastic book on just this subject. He and I where both remembering what it was like to read it and think "Everyone else feels these things too?!" Understanding these mental blocks that nearly all creatives face can give you so much meaningful perspective on your work. Perspective and context that actually affects how you work, day to day!
  • maatin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maatin polycounter lvl 7
    Great talk!
    I´m always afraid of not being good enough, to fail or to be wrong.
    I think I need to work on this.
    Good to know I´m not the only one i guess.
  • WDewel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WDewel polycounter lvl 7
    A couple of my closest friendships started out with me thinking they hated me because of their own insecurities. I'm really grateful that I was pushy enough and/or that they were willing to take the risk of being vulnerable. They're both great people and I feel very lucky to have them in my life. :) It really is ironic how shyness can be interpreted so incorrectly. I try to keep it in mind when meeting new people, but there is only so much "accidental" rejection that a person is willing to go through just to make a new friend.

Everyone is still human and no one is immune to rejection.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    fearian wrote: »
    I was talking to another artist on twitter the other day about Art and Fear, which is a fantastic book on just this subject. He and I where both remembering what it was like to read it and think "Everyone else feels these things too?!" Understanding these mental blocks that nearly all creatives face can give you so much meaningful perspective on your work. Perspective and context that actually affects how you work, day to day!

I highly recommend that book! Super awesome and it gave me tons of perspective.
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    Tom is a good friend (we were roommates way back in school) and he's as humble as he is talented. Glad this talk has been making the rounds, and that people are getting something out of it. The biggest struggles in an artist's development always seem to be about more than the work itself.
  • ponjarphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ponjarphy polycounter lvl 5
    damn this was such a good view.
    thanks for sharing man!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Freaking love Tomas !! Such a great guy. Thanks for the link !

(also, just a detail : this is TEDx, not TED. I actually passed on the thread at first because I tend to find TED talks to be quite pretentious and artificial, not to mention that they have stuff behind the scenes that I am not a fan of hehe. But this is TEDx, the independent event which is often much more chill and personal)