Home General Discussion

Alienware m17x - to purchase or not to purchase

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Noth polycounter lvl 15
Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a new laptop. I found a guy near me looking to sell his relatively new Alienware m17x for 2,000$ - Cnd.

here are the specs.

Intel Quad Core i7- 4930MX "Haswell Bridge 4th-Gen i7" Extreme Edition Processor

(8MB Cache | 3.9GHz Turbo Mode

16GB DDR3 RAM 4 DIMMS @ 1600mhz

Samsung 840 EVO Series 250GB SSD & 512 SSD & 750GB HDD 7200rpm {Three hard drives}

17.3" LED 3D HD (1920 x 1080) 120HZ

Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

BD/RW DVD/RW CD/RW Combo Drive Blueray

Webcam/Bluetooth

AlienFX Illuminated Keyboard | Broadcom 4352 802.11 ac 2x2 and Bluetooth 4.0

8 Cell Battery & 240 watt Charger

Super nice, I know. I've looked around, I can't find better specs for the price. Only questions are in regards to condition. He bought it this month, and has to part with it for financial reasons.

What you guys think, decent purchase? Also, I'm not interested in desktop, I want portability. Thanks ahead of time ;)

~
Am

Replies

• Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Laptops for high-end 3D - don't even go there...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Actually one of my creation computers is a laptop. :-P

I hope this isnt some guy off craigslist? Might be stolen merchandise then. In either case make SURE that the warranty is transfered to you. Also check the price of comparable systems, alienware is usually overpriced as it is.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Surprisingly it's not a bad laptop, better than most laptops Alienware has put out.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Don't get me wrong, I think they're great at what they do, but the heating issues always worry me. Some laptop fans can scorch your legs! If you really need mobility, working whilst commuting, fine, if it's mainly going to sit on the desk - what's the point apart from space saving?
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    I am happy with mine, had it about a year now.

Problems -
    1. There has been the odd issue with the built in microphone.
    2. If you are a maya user the instance key is zero on the number pad so you have to click Num Lock to access so you will want to change that in maya.
    3. The duel process cocks up from time to time (disable it and only use the powerful NVidia card)
    4. Its very heavy so get a (Swiss Gear back pack)
    5. My Screen is far to refeletive but that has been fixed on the new model.
    6. This one cost about £2400 :O

On the good side, Its fast, The back lit keys are cool, people are always taken back when I get my whooper out of the back pack, Runs all the standard 3D software without any issues, Dell support are fantastic and will come to your house in 24 hours to fix any issues and will give you a replacement if they have to take it away.

My work colleagues spend about £400 less on some standard laptops as they think my laptop is vulgar, distasteful and looks like a disco dance floor from the 1980s. BUT their laptops on the other hand suck balls as within 8 months their processors are burned out while my Alienware is still just as fast as the day I got it.

If your a free lance you can hook up a HDMI extra screen and Key board and carry on as if you are on a powerful PC

Capture.jpg
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    As somebody said before about the heating issues. I've never personally used an alienware machine so I can't comment off of direct experience, but a good friend of mine who games with with sometimes was telling me how his alienware laptop would overheat in like 20-30 minutes after playing any modern game so he was forced to get a laptop cooler and elevate his actual machine on a desk.

He has an older model so maybe they've improved on that aspect, but I would grab a laptop cooler of some kind to be safe.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I would not trust anyone selling effectively new and expensive hardware like that second hand. There's something wrong with it.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I had one from work about 2 years ago and would never ever want to buy one myself.
    I won another one last year, and the guy I sold it to had nothing but problems with it, even though it was brand new.
    Avoid at all costs I'd say.
  • CapableWizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CapableWizard polycounter lvl 9
    I bought the m14x about a year ago now, it's slightly smaller but with exactly the same spec as the m17x (I think). At the time I was travelling a lot, but had decent setups at both ends. What I was looking for was a portable PC rather than a laptop - just something I could connect to a monitor and use as a normal PC but that was relatively easy to carry on the train.

Honestly it's a really powerful laptop and it hasn't lost any of it's punch over the year. It runs 3ds max and Zbrush flawlessly and I'm told the graphics card is pretty powerful (although in my experience it has trouble running high end graphics, but I don't play enough games to really give a solid opinion on it).

There are a number of disadvantages as people have pointed out-

Very heavy,
    Refelective screen, I have the newer version and it's still terrible,
    Mic issues,
    Something no one else has mentioned - it is extremely loud. When the graphics card fans get going I can literally hear it through noise cancelling headphones ಠ_ಠ this annoys me daily and is my only real gripe with the laptop.

I'm pretty much using it as a desktop now and it's still going strong. I'll probably upgrade in a year or for something with better spec but it has been well worth the price :)
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    ambershee wrote: »
    I would not trust anyone selling effectively new and expensive hardware like that second hand. There's something wrong with it.

There's something Definitely wrong with it.

Why would anyone want to sell a reasonable new piece of tech?
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    op said seller claims financial problems for selling... -could- be true? just make sure you get the warrenty!

my main work machine is a laptop and its great, iv had it rendering for several days straight without heating problems etc. so i wouldnt worry about it not meeting the standards of a stationary. And those specs are pretty damn solid for any machine.

id just make sure its legit before getting it.
  • Stinkfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    I had to switch to a laptop due to lack of living space for a while and forked out a lot for a game laptop/desktop replacement. It had top notch stuff in there but the whole thing was warmer then a george foreman grill, and melted through the table "Aliens" Style after a year.

If you have the space, go for a proper cooled case, if not, be sure to keep it clean at least a few weeks, and I recommend getting a laptop cooling stand, it helped cool my other laptop considerably.
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    I dont know about this particular laptop but I have been using ASUS G74s with second monitor for years and done all my 3d staff on it and it wroks really good. However, the main reason why I got my laptop is the ability to move it from place to another. If you are working mainly at home then I think desktop is the logical choice.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    op said seller claims financial problems for selling... -could- be true? just make sure you get the warrenty!

This is always the claim because there's no other way to justify it.

However, this hardware is all brand new to the market - the i7-4390MX was only released in June and has probably only made it into machines in the last three or four months. If someone has legitimately picked up this machine for around $2500 in the past couple of months, it's not very likely they've suddenly found themselves in financial difficulty (obviously it can happen, but let's be realistic here).
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    If there's nothing actually wrong with it, the person may just be trying to flip it.

Things like this are sometimes bought with stolen credit card numbers and then resold on craigslist.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah if you're going to drop that much money on tech then I would throw in the extra $ and get it new for the piece of mind. Who knows what's going on inside a laptop if you're picking it up used.
  • Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 15
    Hey guys, thanks for the input. Currently I use as Asus g73 laptop as my main workhorse. I use an extra monitor at home, and while traveling I can take it with me and still work! I'm pretty much sold on laptops as desktop replacements. It's inevitable in time I think :)

My main concern is the overheating. Asus handles the heating issues in high end laptops the best I hear, and with the best CPU available in this m17x it is most likely of the models to have this problem. (overheating)

Any computer I've customized online with the same specs is atleast +1k more usually higher, (I'm an artist I don't have alot of money) but you get a warranty. I've had my current asus for 2 years without a warranty, In that time I've upgraded the ram,(not as easy as just taking off the backplate), repasted the cpu and flashed both vbios and bios. I'm relatively confedant that I can figure out solutions to tech problems with the interwebs and my mini-screw driver set. (I'm keeping my current g73, till this one proves itself.)

So the question is, money for specs. These specs are worth it, yea? I don't really care it is dell/alienware. I'm just an artist hungry for power... cpu power.

Huston we have a go.

@ LittleClaude - Could you tell me what your idle Temp is Claude? and maybe a temp while under load, like rendering or gaming? So I have something to compare against? You've never had much problem with heating? Thanks!

~
    Am
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Hi Noth

The heat is fine, runs most games/UDK/Crysis at 45-60fps with no noticeable frame drops. I lecturer with it every day so I am constantly getting it in and out off my back pack, I bang it around at work, boot of the car and at home my kids smash it around and it has not let me down yet....touch wood!

Honestly the new generation m17x models are fantastic, the speakers rock they are so loud you can really annoy all the apple mac hipsters in Star bucks.

I have been through so many laptops over the years and Alienware is the 100% the best I have had. Also what other laptops can change the colour of your air vents and power cable :) I have mine a soft mustard colour and its nice on your eyes and you can switch them off! but why would you do that. :)

Alienware-M17x-Laptop.jpg

This might help
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1dCv2OgS-w"]Alienware 17 Gaming Laptop Video Review (HD) - YouTube[/ame]

Yes you can get a PC that is much better but if you need a laptop it does not get much better then this, also upgrades are simple to install, a few screws slot it in and Bob's your uncle.

One last thing, CTRL delete, laptop with 16GB ram still brings a smile to my face.
    Capture.jpg
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I have a m11x r3 (the last of the m11x line). It works fine, but it can get heated up as mentioned once the GPU is activated in game. I have used a cooling pad since day 1 and I think its held up better than it would have otherwise.

Just dont make the mistake I did. Your cooling pads fan - make sure the usb is a plug through. I only have two usb ports available otherwise with the fan plugged in.
  • Spunky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spunky polycounter lvl 11
    I bought my girlfriend an m17 last year for christmas and we have had 0 problems with it. Those specs are actually pretty good for $2000, if you ordered that same one new it would probably be in the mid-high 2000's

A bit of advice from me...if you dont really really really need a laptop...take that $2000 to newegg and order in each individual part and build your own PC. $2000 well spent on newegg would build you a monster of a machine
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I also recommend to avoid these machines. For the price of one unit, you can build 2 mini PCs more powerful.

And err... holy cow! 150 processes? if that it's your screenshot, you need to learn how to optimize windows :).
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Blaizer wrote: »
    And err... holy cow! 150 processes? if that it's your screenshot, you need to learn how to optimize windows :).

Its the end of the week and I have not shut down all week, I have open and closed it from lectern to lectern, opened more or less all the adobe/auto desk suite and lots of other programmes and used them more times than I could shake a finger but with all that power it does not matter as it never crashes or slows down as ALIENWARE is solid as a rock. :thumbup:

Also if you want a PC then just hook up the 1920x1080 HDMI to multiple external monitors and then put in a USB keyboard and rock and roll. Then when you need to be on the move just unplug it and off you go. And when you do use it on the go it's got duel graphics cards so the battery switches the performance to the optimised one automatically so the battery lasts for hours, that is unless you have 150 processes going with UDK/Crysis running in the back ground.... that would be a good time to restart :)

Honestly it really is a step above the rest. :thumbup:
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Alienware, msi, hp... they may be rock solid, but that does not justify the huge waste of money. For 850€ we can build a faster/better/more powerful machine, rock solid. In less than a year a PC becomes obsolete, we paid a lot for something that will devaluate very fast. In my experience, it does not compensate such waste of money.

I'm sure your task bar is full of icons :). Dunno if these Alienwares use triple SSD combo in raid 0 like the msi/asus laptops... but you could restart and see how many processes are loaded in the windows start (with a raid 0 of 2 SSDs is only a few seconds). By default, a clean install of windows with your Adobe creative suite, Autodesk Suite, etc. etc. you should not have more than 35-40 processes (1,2GB of ram used). As far as i know, msi, hp, lenovo, etc. tends to install too much bloatware in the laptops.

Your system may be hyper bloated of unnecessary apps.

BTW, for gaming, i prefer to have a tower with a dedicated sound card and a Dolby/DTS 5.1 home cinema with at least 500W.

Sorry, but i think this is a very expensive whim/caprice. If you really want power for udk, just buy a GXT780 Tri Sli :), it will cost the same.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Thanks Blaizer, I am about to do a clean install of windows as soon as the term is over so I will look into it then. I will get a new card once the official Unreal 4 comes out. The University buys lecturer staff what we want every few years and I normally burn through a laptop a year but so far mine is a year and half old and its as solid as the day I got it.....my microphone has just gone down though....Dell is very quick at coming out and fixing it at home which is cool