Home Technical Talk

Issues with new Uvs in Zbrush?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
phixel polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys,

I'm having some issues with switching/assigning new UVs to my model in Zbrush. I have already sculpted the high poly details and polypainted my model.

- I brought the subtool down to lowest lvl of subdivs, exported and unwrapped new UVs in 3ds max (without modifying the topology or vertex count... Just unwrapped)

- Then I import my newly UVd basemesh into zbrush. Using UV master, I copy and paste my new UVs to the lowest Subdiv of my sculpted model.

- The UVs are updated, but the vertex order seems to have changed or something. When I try to generate a new normal map, certain polys seem to be flipped or rotated and its all "faceted". Also if I try to generate texture from my polypaint, it respects the new UVs but seems to shift certain polys within the UV layout.

I've searched, and tried countless times to fix this but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions or solutions would be much appreciated. If my explanation is unclear, I can try to upload some screenshots later this afternoon.

Thanks

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If the vertex order is the same, you shouldn't be required to use UV master. Importing the OBJ should automatically update them.

If you're not using GoZ, you might want to give that a shot as well. The bridge between Max and Zbrush has a habit of disconnecting and flipping individual UV faces, leading to the faceted look.
  • phixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phixel polycounter lvl 7
    OK, I tried importing the OBJ with the new UVs when I'm on the lowest Subdiv of my sculpt, but it just replaced it and I lost all my higher Subdivs... am I supposed for freeze or store a morph target first?

The GoZ method worked, but it scared me a bit cuz I've never used it and it felt like I'm wasn't in control of the import/export process... lol

Thx for your help cryrid, much appreciated :)
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    No problemo. Good to know GoZ worked out smoothly.

If importing an obj the other way does anything other than smoothly update the geometry and UVs (instantly and quietly), then its likely that the vertex order has changed. I find this is more likely to occur if there are polygroups or if Tool: Export: Grp is on (which it is by default).