Home General Discussion

Lurker needs help with train2game :S

Hi everyone,

I'm a long time lurker here, I don't feel like I have the skills to post any work atm, but I'm looking for some advice and/or help.

I'm part of a group of extremely unhappy students, who are enrolled on the Train2Game courses in the UK. We feel we are being supplied with substandard content, along with not being supplied with the items and features of the course that are promoted during the signup process.

A lot of the course materials are copied from various online sources and is all outdated - we don't use any game engines as part of the course, and none of the courses actually make anything close to a game as a portfolio piece.

We're all stuck in contracts paying ~£135p/m for 3 years. We were promised proper tutition, access to a work placement scheme, help with finding jobs after completing the course, the works ... but these either don't exist or aren't up to scratch.

We have pleaded with them for change and updates, but we have been given PR/ corporate standard answers (which don't answer our concerns) and feel like we're being laughed at.

The following two links are to threads on the student forums, displaying our feelings and replies from T2G officials.
The original thread where issues were raised :: http://forum.train2game.com/showthread.php/19817-Course-feedback-so-far
The latest thread were more concerns have been raised :: http://www.forum.train2game.com/showthread.php/20783-Train-2-game-dead-again

Any help and advice on where we should turn, or our options would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    i really feel for you here after reading some of the responses the staff is giving. This is clearly a scam filled with meaningless fluff (entry in a beer record book rite next to world largest cyst? c'mon, that crap doesnt get you a job).

Unfortunately i dont really know what kind of action you can take here, other than to warn any prospective students of what they'l be getting themselves into. Aside from a slim few, almost all game schools are not worth your time and money. Join polycount U and reap the benefits of a free education.

Best of luck here

edit: Forgot to mention, if you're not being instructed to use a game engine in a game-centric course then that sums up the overall quality pretty well
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    You had to sign a contract in order to enroll? Not only does that sound illegal, but it should be a red flag to find a way to get out of that scam as soon as possible.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Speak to a lawyer and do whatever you can to get out. Even IF they start fixing things, it'll be too late for you.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A contract for a course sounds really odd to me. I mean if you quit university at the end of your first year for example are you going to pay for the next two? No. I would get legal advice does not sound like you are getting your moneys worth.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I would contact the financial ombudsman and see if they can help you as well.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

all of their help and advice is completely free. and they're on your side until there's evidence that you're in the wrong.
  • Exroath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies :) , I'll hopefully be in contact tomorrow for legal aid.

I was so skeptical at first but their sales guy really got me with the "work placements" etc.. I thought I had a chance at getting a foot in the door :S

Many thanks again, I will keep this post updated (hopefully it might stop other people signing up) .. and polycount u is my new way forward :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Your work isn't the worst i've ever seen either, so keep it up. post here a lot, use the feedback you get, and kick the door down yourself!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man that seems like some shady stuff. Is this school only online through forums? or...?

I hope you can find a way out of that contract...that sounds like a shitty situation.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Quote Originally Posted by Exroath View Post
    Your joking right? If so that's even worse why does it take so long to get something marked then?
    Also do you know where I can find out the success rate of students?

What do you mean by success rate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Exroath View Post
    College's and universities for example list a success rate showing how many students went into employment or higher education (masters etc) from completion of the course.
    I'm quite sure train2game don't keep track of information like that, although it would be nice to see.

This just crystal clears everything.

Wow O.O

Usually if someone posts something like this on PC, PC makes people (who are responsible for something like this,) suffer and brings them to the point where you cant access their website anymore because its been shut down. (Not linking the threads but I have seen it happen.)
  • Emperors Teeth
    Talk to Citizens advice or other free legal advisory service is all I can recommend. The one about the Ombudsman above, too. Hell, while you're at it, report them to Watchdog so we can all see that guy on TV knock on their door demanding explanations!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I've heard nothing but problems with these people for a number of years. Their teaching materials are completely substandard, and they do not give you access to qualified staff. At the time they set up these courses, their 'distance learning' course cost more than a Bachelors degree at a physical university.

FYI, you may get a 'diploma' from these people on completion of your course, however it is completely worthless. It's not worth the paper it's printed on.

If you are unsatisfied with your course, you are entitled to be able to take a refund and break that contract - it's a fundamental consumer right (and basic legal right, since you could consider them to be in breach of contract by not providing adequate services). I would contact the Ombudsmen and encourage others to do the same if they are also unsatisfied.

P.s. Paying £5000 for a distance learning course on Games QA just says it all, really. As for the 'City and Guilds' carrot on a stick and it being equivalent to a masters, this seems way too good to be true. There are newer NVQs which are generally considered an equivalent to a Masters, but you won't get them through a course like these. Most people take NVQs as an supplement or alternative to GCSEs or A-Levels.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Looked trough the threads you posted, Oh boy is that something :)
    Cancel the course buy a dt and 3d motive subscription do the work and your all good :)

Also post wips on polycount.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Light the torches!!!

BRING FORTH THE PITCHFORKS!!!!!!!!!!!

No really, these guys have been sharks for years.....TIGA needs to sort its fucking act out too, as at the moment it is an INDUSTRY trade body giving credence to the shittest rip off course in the UK.

http://www.train2game.com/about/

fucking bullshit......five grand for a pointless piece of paper with a course you could learn more than on digital tutors....
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Wow, it's depressing, seems like the worst of the worst when it comes to "games courses".
    I was especially surprised by the reaction of the staff member to your request of tutor feedback : "I’m interested to know about your requests for tutor interaction. Again this is something some prefer and some don’t".
    As if personal, directed feedback is some alien concept they haven't considered yet, and that some people don't want this... oh boy.
  • Exroath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought I would add some info etc.

Im on the artist course.. I have both of their section 1 +2 (year 1+2) books .. No colour theory so far.. Everything is extremely out of date.

The carrot on a stick for me was the job placements, work experiance and the city and guilds level 7... However .. none of that is happening, Im expecting a call from t2g today, following that I will be in contact with a lawyer, ombudsman , trading standards etc...

As you'll see the posts are months apart, I gave them a chance .. and I get laughed at to my face ..

Thanks for all the help, I will be a regular here from now on posting as much work as I can :)

Thanks again :D
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Just under 4 years ago now i got suckered into one of these, thinking that there was an art course ready and waiting for me to get on and learning all things art! Alas, after signing up, having the course material come in the post only to find out that I was put on the programming course, because there was no art course at the time, despite what the salesman told me. When the art course did come out and I was transferred over to it, I was put off immediately because I knew everything that they were teaching me and as you point out, everything they were teaching was obsolete.

I remember being contacted by the main dude to retract my comments from a game journo site. Since then i've had many people contact me who are curious as to whether it's a scam. Is it? In one sense yes. They falsely advertise what they to offer when it is drastically inferior to what we have here on the polycount wiki, which is free. On the other hand, I think they are really trying to put out a course that would be a cheaper alternative to University, which it is. But there is no reason why you can't get a part-time job and learn stuff from the internet, like eat3D, Polycount, 3Dmotive and the like. Something that I should have done.

I do hope this helps somewhat. If it was me in the same situation again, i'd certainly avoid it. There are cheaper and far superior learning material out there.
  • MichaelElphick
    I think my friend is enrolled on this, or similiar thing, lent him a 3ds max book to learn some stuff and he said he learnt more using that in 2 days than a month at his course.

The job placements would be lovely, but it's a shame, I hope you manage to get your cash back.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    MrNinjutsu wrote: »
    There are cheaper and far superior learning material out there.

This 1000x.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    That website design hurt my eyes.

Read this though not sure on the rules over the water
    If on reflection a student decides that the course is not for him/her and if the decision is taken within the ‘cooling off’ period, the answer is ‘yes’. This option is clearly explained at the point of enrolment.

The ‘cooling off’ period is that provided by the Consumer Credit Act under the finance agreement. The law requires only 5 days from receipt of the second copy of the agreement (sent by the finance company) being received by the student. In practice though and with the cooperation of its finance partners, for consistency, T2G allows cancellation ’21 days from the date of enrolment’. This is more generous than the law allows. Cancellation requests received in this time are processed automatically with no questions asked.

Definitely a weird rule with the contracts. Never heard of that before.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    It's a common thing here in the UK. it's there for customers safety/satisfaction, there are a lot of people and places who are less than honest as sales people and hide things in their contracts or mislead people about what they're signing.

This law allows customers who are "blinded" by a sales pitch to go home, read through the paperwork, and decide if it's really what they want.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    its a complete scam unfortunately, and they sue anyone for libel that says otherwise, I just wish this company would close down, it preys on the weak, vulnerable and optimistic.

The real sadness is that they gain some legitimacy through TIGA who I think should be pressurized to severe ties with train 2 game to maintain some form of legitimacy and credibility.

just stick train 2 game scam in a search engine you are bound to find something, and if you find deleted content that's often when they have sued someone for libel or threatened legal action.

Good luck on getting your money back but contract law is often airtight in the UK.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It's a common thing here in the UK. it's there for customers safety/satisfaction, there are a lot of people and places who are less than honest as sales people and hide things in their contracts or mislead people about what they're signing.

This law allows customers who are "blinded" by a sales pitch to go home, read through the paperwork, and decide if it's really what they want.

Trouble is, if you're signing up for a multiple year duration learning course, is 21 days actually enough? This date is from receiving the finance agreement as well, not from receiving course materials, which likely come later.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Yeah, I've heard nothing but trouble about these people - up to and including a story where someone from their company went door-to-door at my friend's *house* to try and sell the course to them. It's a scam, in short.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    The real sadness is that they gain some legitimacy through TIGA who I think should be pressurized to severe ties with train 2 game to maintain some form of legitimacy and credibility.

This.....Any kind of industry accreditation legitimises them in the eyes of prospective students. It wont do anything, but Im writing an email.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    any course that has more salespeople than lecturers is doing it wrong.

I would hope that you get it sorted out but as they have hooked you up with a finance deal and already taken their money I cant see your lender being too sympathetic :(

Tiga being happy to associate with them is not good....another email going their way I think.
  • Exroath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Many thanks for the support.

I have to say they got me when I had completely given up on everything, The only benefit is that it got me doing work again... However..

Little update: I was contacted by Train2game to discuss the issues I had with the course, 40 minutes of asking them where the hell the money was actually going.. I was asked to wait 9 days (6 remain) so they could bring forward their plans to improve.
    At the end of those days I could leave with a full refund if I was still unhappy, I agreed and now waiting for cuthulu to walk the earth...
    I cant see much changing but I have a way out and so do the other students I've become a spokesman for.

Again thanks so much for the replies here :) You'll see me alot more around here, for better or worse lol !
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    I've never heard of t2g, but the idea of them requiring a contract sounds super shady. Also, if they're re-evaluating their curriculum or whatever it is they have you waiting for, I'd get everything in writing. Not just some cyber smoke they're blowing up everyone's asses on a message board.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exroath wrote: »
    Many thanks for the support.

I have to say they got me when I had completely given up on everything, The only benefit is that it got me doing work again... However..

Little update: I was contacted by Train2game to discuss the issues I had with the course, 40 minutes of asking them where the hell the money was actually going.. I was asked to wait 9 days (6 remain) so they could bring forward their plans to improve.
    At the end of those days I could leave with a full refund if I was still unhappy, I agreed and now waiting for cuthulu to walk the earth...
    I cant see much changing but I have a way out and so do the other students I've become a spokesman for.

Again thanks so much for the replies here :) You'll see me alot more around here, for better or worse lol !
    Polycount U for life brother!

I am glad its looking like you will get your cash back although I fear it is more damage control above all hush a few people and get back to business as usual.
  • Exroath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little update:
    Well I would love to come back and say everythings great however its grim..

At the start of january I was banned and deleted from train2games forums (no reason given)
    I then recieved a call telling me I had been suspended following train2game seeking legal advice against me.

Currently Im locked out of all the training , they refuse to speak to me in any way or form.

All because I wanted proper training :S

I;ve been in contact with citizens advice etc, Who had to try for 3 days to get anyone from train2game to speak to them .. They cant move further until the legal threat arrives in my mail.

So yeah, Basically they have succeded in destroying my passion for 3d art.. I try to do tutorials etc .. but I get extremely depressed doing them of late.

I have no idea what I am ment to do now, This company has basically destroyed my life goals and any passion I had.

Oh .. and all those improvements they said were coming .. Yeah .. nothing has happend..

Fun and games continue.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    That's really unfortunate man, but it sounds like disassociating yourself from them is the best thing for YOU. Dont let them hold you back from your passion because of their mistakes and incompetence. Dont even give them the satisfaction man.

If you're just not feeling the tutorials and prefer the online coarse route, try Gnomon and other workshops out there. That might help give ya a little kick to get back on it ;)
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Oh man that really sucks.. But don't let them ruin your passion, wait till you have a clear head and the matter is taken care of and jump back into it. Post stuff here and slowly get the ball rolling again. :)

Best of luck with the situation :(
  • Exroath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems luck is on myside, Vertex 2 has just been released I'll give that a read, Hopefully that will give me a little jolt.

And i'll take a look at the gnomon courses.

i'll give myself a few days to chill I think.. Hopefully it will help
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Try not to give up on your hopes and dreams because of that shitty company. Luckily, in modern times, there are so many ways to teach yourself game art and programming at a professional level without the need for a degree. It will be a lot of work, but nothing good in life comes without hard work.

Gnomon is a great resource as mentioned above. Personally I also really enjoy the video training series from Digital Tutors, 3dmotive, and Eat3D as well. With a few courses from each of the above sites along with getting feedback on Polycount and some dedication, you'll be able to obtain great knowledge in many areas of game development before you know it.

The best way to learn how a game is made is to dive in and start making them. I would suggest trying to build a game in Unity3D by yourself from start to finish, and do everything yourself including modeling assets, texturing, writing gameplay scripts, making shaders, etc. as this will give you a taste of the entire pipeline. From here, you can choose to focus on the aspects of development you enjoy the most and start working towards a professional portfolio.

It's important to keep in mind realistic projects however. Don't install Unity with the intention of making the next big AAA game as this will only lead to frustration and could crush your motivation. The other thing to keep in mind is that it isn't a race. Take your time, if you need to repeat lessons to understand a topic better, go ahead and repeat them.

If you already know what you want to focus on, then the best thing to do would be to work on that specific area (it sounds pretty obvious haha). If you want to make art, then spend time making art. If you want to program, then spend time programming. It's the only real way to get good at anything and anybody that tells you otherwise is probably lying their ass off or trying to steal money from you.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    I know where you're coming from Exroath.

I have a four year degree. One of my last required courses was called "Career Skills"; it was meant to help us get our portfolios polished, train us for interviews, and generally prepare us for the business end of a career as creative professionals.

The "professor" that had been assigned to the course was a walking disaster. He wasn't a full time employee, had almost no connection with our major, stereotyped his students, made snap judgements, and couldn't critique beyond basic observation because he wasn't tech savvy enough to understand our projects. (I'd be surprised if he knew the job title most people in my major applied for.) His approach was to make you as nervous as possible. At first I thought this was just a teaching method to prep us for interviews, but then he started sitting fourth year students in front of the class and telling them they were better suited for an entirely different career. And THIS was the guy prepping us for the job market?! In the end a few students filed complaints (thankfully we were legally allowed to do so) and to my knowledge, he's no longer there.

I knew what had happened was complete BS and not an accurate portrayal of what the industry was like, but I couldn't shake the feeling that something was off. I kept second guessing my decisions, my work ethic suffered, and I couldn't work up the courage to even apply for a job, let alone go in for an interview. Again, I knew what had happened was BS but somewhere I had lost my direction.

Luckily you get over it. It takes a little while but you'll get passed it eventually. It might help to physically write down your goals on a piece of paper and execute them one by one, even if you feel the contrary. If you went into T2G to learn character art, start a character project or do the monthly noob challenge if environment art is your thing. In any case, start making something and posting your progress. All skill levels are welcome here, you're not making an ass of yourself by learning. :)
  • jddg5wa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jddg5wa polycounter lvl 8
    If you guys have contracts that promise certain things and your not getting them, is that not a breach of contract? If do I'd imagine that could get you somewhere. What do the contracts do aside from covering payment?

Ah, I just noticed the most recent update and the time difference. Either way I hope you get back into things that your passionate about. A bad company shouldn't be given the power to ruin your passion. After all that will always be yours.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exroath wrote: »
    A little update:
    Well I would love to come back and say everythings great however its grim..

At the start of january I was banned and deleted from train2games forums (no reason given)
    I then recieved a call telling me I had been suspended following train2game seeking legal advice against me.

Currently Im locked out of all the training , they refuse to speak to me in any way or form.

All because I wanted proper training :S

I;ve been in contact with citizens advice etc, Who had to try for 3 days to get anyone from train2game to speak to them .. They cant move further until the legal threat arrives in my mail.

So yeah, Basically they have succeded in destroying my passion for 3d art.. I try to do tutorials etc .. but I get extremely depressed doing them of late.

I have no idea what I am ment to do now, This company has basically destroyed my life goals and any passion I had.

Oh .. and all those improvements they said were coming .. Yeah .. nothing has happend..

Fun and games continue.

Yeah man, they just go straight for the legal libel suits etc if you say anything against them like I said before, so I take it they didn't make good on their refund? you will want to take screens of these emails for evidence in a small claims court or a bigger one if it warrants that.

Any organization working with train2game should be ashamed of themselves, I am fundamentally surprised that train 2 game is still in business, its the sort of organization that should of lost legitimacy and been shutdown.

http://www.collativelearning.com/SKILLSTRAIN%20SCAM%20&%20REFUND.html

Here is a good idea of how they operate.
    Update 7th March 2013

This author recently defended a High Court libel case (case number HQ12X02409) brought against him for £50k of damages by Metropolitan International Schools Limited (aka Skillstrain, Train4tradeskills, Train2game) in June 2012 regarding this article. This article was temporarily removed while a written defence was compiled and submitted to the High Court. MIS Ltd discontinued their claim in January 2013, therefore the claim did not go to trial. This author is now at liberty to republish this article.

It has been brought to my attention that, while attempting to defend itself against claims for refund from its own students, MIS / Skillstrain have been submitting documents to legal bodies that contain untrue statements about my character and activities. If you have been, or are, involved in such a case then please contact me at stexposed@yahoo.co.uk.
  • Exroath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well their legal threat has arrived .. Its all due to me calling it a scam.. Funny that :S

Oh and my increasing demands that could never be satisfied (aka Asking for a proper education as was sold to me)(I have issues with that statement)

Again thanks to those of you replying and getting in touch, It seems I will have to fight them to the end.. I still cant get over tiga's involvment.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    1. contact TIGA (if possible) and ask them for their input on the matter.
    2. contact the financial ombudsman (by phone, i cannot stress this enough) and ask if they will be willing to represent you in this matter, i doubt that they will turn you down and they have been (in my experience with other matters) absolutely fantastic.
    3. contact a solicitor, and be ready to go to court.
    4. kick their asses man.

5. i'm about to contact Eurogamer and see what their stance is about allowing them to continue with their recruitment at EGX.
  • mats effect
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Just sent this to EuroGamer:
    Hi there,

My name is Lee Devonald, i go by the online pseudonym of Almighty_gir, i'm a character artist in the games industry and a regular attendee of the EGX in september.

I wanted to contact you with regards to something that's deeply disturbing to myself, and other games developers and see if you could shed some light on your stance towards it and whether you would continue to support it.

And that issue is Train2Game, and their practices. They are widely seen by developers as sharks and snake oil salesmen who not only provide an inadequate service for their money, nor do they offer any kind of accepted qualification (almost all studios seem to see their "diplomas" as worthless) with the course not even being recognised or accredited by any university board and being worth 0 (zero) UCAS points toward an actual degree, and in some cases they seem to be outright lying to students/customers about the level of instruction they will receive.

I'd like to bring your attention to the following:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1998725
    http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?370946-Miss-sold-Train2Game-course
    http://www.forum.train2game.com/showthread.php/20931-Near-Completed-student-gives-overview-of-the-course
    http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?416087-Train2game-Problems
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4735715

Even just google searching "Train2Game" throws up an almost insurmountable wall of pages about peoples terrible experiences with them.

Perhaps most disturbingly is TIGA's association with them and continued support of them, an industry body that continues to support the miss-selling and miss-representation of a course that essentially robs people of their money, and their time, and gives them nothing worthwhile in return is a very bad thing.

As an outcome from this, i would like it if EuroGamer could contact both bodies for comments (although you'll likely get some guff response from both), and more importantly review EuroGamers own involvement with Train2Game and their participation in future EGX events.

All the best,
    Lee.

i realise i'm just a small fish in a big pond here, but it can't hurt to ask, right?
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let us know what they have to say.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Ye I've been in touch with TIGA about this too. Am waiting on some info, then will pm a few of you.
  • Anthony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    I know it has been a while since anyone posted in this thread, but since what i'm asking is relevant, i didn't think it would be worth making another thread for this.

I filled out my details on the train2game website couple of weeks ago, got contacted yesterday by someone who arranged a visit with one of their people for today, he came earlier this morning, he answered all of our questions (spoke to me and my mother), we watched the dvd he'd brought which gave an overview of the programme and what they do.

He mentioned that all the coursework would be online, so traveling anywhere wouldn't be an issue, he also told us that all the learning materials would be supplied, as would the software. I asked him which licenses would be given, and he said they're commercial, and that i can keep them after the course, which is great, i'm currently stuck with an ancient version of Max that is under an educational license, so a full suite with commercial license, that i can keep using after the course, would be great.

But.....after reading through this thread, and one of the ones linked from the train2game forums, it doesn't seem as good as we'd thought.

is it really that bad?
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony wrote: »
    I know it has been a while since anyone posted in this thread, but since what i'm asking is relevant, i didn't think it would be worth making another thread for this.

I filled out my details on the train2game website couple of weeks ago, got contacted yesterday by someone who arranged a visit with one of their people for today, he came earlier this morning, he answered all of our questions (spoke to me and my mother), we watched the dvd he'd brought which gave an overview of the programme and what they do.

He mentioned that all the coursework would be online, so traveling anywhere wouldn't be an issue, he also told us that all the learning materials would be supplied, as would the software. I asked him which licenses would be given, and he said they're commercial, and that i can keep them after the course, which is great, i'm currently stuck with an ancient version of Max that is under an educational license, so a full suite with commercial license, that i can keep using after the course, would be great.

But.....after reading through this thread, and one of the ones linked from the train2game forums, it doesn't seem as good as we'd thought.

is it really that bad?
    Yes, you would think it would be obvious having read this thread dude.

they throw you a good sales pitch, get you to sign a airtight contract then are off with your money giving you some reworked tutorials you can find for free online, avoid like the plague.
  • aphex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you think a diploma will look good on your CV, don't bother. Go for a degree if you're looking for a qualification and if you're just looking for training then do it yourself like others have said here; Digital tutors, eat3d, 3dmotive, 3dbuzz - aload of places have video content from industry professionals that are so much better than being sent outdated content from places like this.

Industry people will all tell you to avoid this e.g. https://twitter.com/mikeBithell/statuses/319185862481022976
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Anthony wrote: »
    i'm currently stuck with an ancient version of Max that is under an educational license, so a full suite with commercial license, that i can keep using after the course, would be great.
    It might not be as good as a commercial license, but doesn't Autodesk give out free educational licenses for the latest versions of their software? Last time I tried it which was a year ago, they offered a download and educational license that lasted for 3 years to anybody registered on the educational portion of their site. I don't think you even needed a .edu email, you just had to write the name of the university you go to, which I suppose one could make up if needed.

Anyway, I've got a spare .edu e-mail if you want to register (and need a .edu email address) if you wanted to update any of your software. Might as well get something out of my college "education" lol.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    There's no way they're spending tuition money on giving students commercial licenses when they can get the educational one for free. That's a major red flag.

Consider that that not for profit institutions, with campuses etc. expect students to buy $50 books. There's no WAY a for-profit online school will buy you a $5,000 software license. And that's just for Maya or Max, what about Photoshop, ZBrush etc? It just wouldn't happen.

The best you could hope for would be some kind of educational discount, which many schools and software developers offer. Again, Autodesk gives out three year educational licenses for free. But supplying you with commercial licenses? No way.

Do not sign anything for these people. You're much better off subscribing to Digital Tutors etc., and buying your own licenses with what's left.
  • Anthony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    NegevPro wrote: »
    It might not be as good as a commercial license, but doesn't Autodesk give out free educational licenses for the latest versions of their software? Last time I tried it which was a year ago, they offered a download and educational license that lasted for 3 years to anybody registered on the educational portion of their site. I don't think you even needed a .edu email, you just had to write the name of the university you go to, which I suppose one could make up if needed.

Anyway, I've got a spare .edu e-mail if you want to register (and need a .edu email address) if you wanted to update any of your software. Might as well get something out of my college "education" lol.

Yeah, i know about the 3 year edu license thing, thats how I got my hands on Max 2012, I just said "Home school" when i was filling out the registration form, :P The version of Max I have is Max 8, and while it's a edu license, it's perpetual, paid about £2000 for it back in 06, along with an edu of PS CS2, which I upgraded to CS4EX in 08, though i might try switching to SD and SP (got the indie pack on steam)

I've already got a free account on DT, so that's something at least.