Home General Discussion

Need advice on making tough choices to develop as an artist.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
tynew polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys,

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. For the past 4 years I've only worked part time freelance with hard surface stuff in my spare time. For a long time I've wanted to work full time remotely as a freelance artist. I love doing hard surface stuff and currently consider myself an amateur.

Now here is the problem. Looking at job postings on various sites, it seems as though the need for hard surface artists is almost non-existent. People either want a character artist or environment artist. It seems as though now that character artists are branching out and doing the weapons and what not also. It also seems there is much more work for artists who do stylized/handpainted art.

I feel like my options are extremely limited and it's made me feel like I'm on a fence and a choice has to be made.

I feel like my options are:

a. Improve to become a professional hard surface artist, improve on vehicles and then hope to find work for a position that is rare or scarce.

b. Learn and be either an environment artist or character artist. Which would probably take me 2 or more years full time with personal practice to be at amateur level.

c. Be a jack of all trades and be a master at none.

I don't want to waste my time probably doing c and not even getting any work because I'm not experienced enough. I want to know what I can do to get as much work as possible and be as open to opportunities with freelance work. I really want to be a full time freelance artist but I feel like I'm so far behind.

I would love any insight or advice fellow polycounters could give!

Replies

• Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Not true...theres loads of jobs for hard surface artists. Trouble is, most companies want their environment artists to be able to do hard surface these days, so the job titles can be a little bit vague.

The skills for environment art and hard surface cross over quite a lot, so i would advise doing some modular environments, build the props, etc etc.

I am doing a hard surface role right now, and im sort of in the same boat, as my environment skiils are not as practiced.

However, the skills are sort of the same, you just need to practice a few key skills, like tiling textures, working to a grid, and building\blending materials in an engine, and the rest of your knowledge should cross over well, and certainly faster that you are estimating.

Either way, you definitely want more than one string to your bow if possible, and developing your environment art skills certainly wont be time wasted, so dont worry!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're top of your field in whatever discipline it is, you'll find work. If you can't be Paul Pepera or Pete Hayes in hard surface work, then becoming a generalist might be the way to go. Middle of the road guys don't get specialty roles in my experience...
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys.

I guess I'm going to push myself to work hard at improving in hard surface. I think I will dedicate an hour of my day to learn as much about enviro as possible. I also one day hope to be okay at characters, but I guess that can be something I do in my spare time instead of watching movies/tv shows.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Indie games require more generalized expertise, AAA games at huge studios are typically more focused to 1-2 disciplines.