Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scott McTavish Demo Reel

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Zieg_Reborn triangle
Alright guys, I can't thank the polycount community enough for all the help I got throughout my school term, and now I have a final demo reel to show for all my hard work.

I had the pleasure of creating both environments in Cryengine 3. All assets were created by me with the exception of the default fish and birds.

Watch in HD and enjoy! (I know its long at 3 mins but trust me, it's worth it.)

portfolio: www.scottmctavish.com

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUmlg1lKZ-E"]Scott McTavish Environment Artist Demo Reel - YouTube[/ame]

Edoras_Screencap_1.jpg
Edoras_Screencap_2.jpg
Edoras_Screencap_3.jpg
Edoras_Screencap_4.jpg
Edoras_Screencap_5.jpg
Edoras_Screencap_8.jpg
SC1_PC.jpg
SC2_PC.jpg
SC4_PC.jpg
SC5_PC.jpg
SC6_PC.jpg
SC8_PC.jpg

Replies

• Zieg_Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zieg_Reborn triangle
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RailbladerX polycounter lvl 8
    Looks Great man!!! Lots of good stuff, and good foliage work, My hats off to you for the amount of work done. Now for the critiques...

I'm not sure I am feeling the Medieval scene. Could be the lighting, or the concept itself. Just something about it feels like "he did this to practice on". The models, and texturing feel "dated", and over all I feel like that is what it really is - Something to practice on. You don't want to show off Stuff that should be implied. Food, cooking details, doesn't really impress. I would work on smaller scenes that show off your Modeling and design skills, since that is what they are looking for.

I'am waiting for a company to review my work, and while I wait I did some research on the companies hiring mentality. And from what I am reading hiring managers want to see if your work brings anything new to their company. A good design, great modeling skills, competent textures and texture spacing.

And I am not seeing that with the scene. I would keep it for now, but I would urge you to replace it soon. And don't think of it as "wasted" work. just think of it as needed practice.

Your Forest Scene is your strongest scene for sure. The video shows it off very nicely. loving the shrooms, and foliage work. But again thats all it is. I would work on some more hard-surface stuff right away.

But I'm wondering if you are doing "too much". Remember the saying "quality over quantity"? It also applies to scenes as well.

I am sorry to give you the "devils advocate" critique, but you have spent a lot of time doing some really nice work, and would be a shame to say nothing, and leave you in the dark.