Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Realistic Head (self portrait)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
kmactastic polycounter lvl 8
I have been working off and on for maybe two months, and am dragging my feet. I kind of hit a road block with the ears and hair. I started by using a scan of my head so that I would get the proportions right. Unfortunately I am having trouble lining up photos of my ears with the sculpt... I am thinking of just skipping using photos and just using the bakes to make the texture for them. I have been using projection painting in mudbox, which is a little awkward but kind of fun. I am also not sure what to do with the hair. I have seen some people sculpt it which looks good, and other use planes. Any advice, feedback critiques are very welcome! thank you ^^

head_scan_wip.jpg

head_progress_2.jpg

Replies

• kmactastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I went ahead and just sculpted the ears instead of trying to use a photo. I also ended up painting my hair in. Which I am not totally happy with, but I finally got over dragging my feet. ^^ Any comments are welcome!! thank you (:

head_progress_3.jpg
  • kmactastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another update ^^ I am almost there! Just have to finish my texture maps, and figure out how to set up a skin shader. I don't know much about SSS, but hopefully I can make something convincing.

Critique is very welcome!!

head_update.jpg
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    A combination of sculpted hair and planes is your best bet (and the most commonly done thing).

Most importantly, though, is to make sure the sculpt is spot on before you apply any colour, all it does is make it harder to see where the sculpt could be improved. If you're not instantly happy with the likeness when you see it without colour then you've not finished sculpting yet. It's also easier to crit a sculpt when you can actually make out the form, try posting some shots using the standard materials.

Another thing is that you need to clean up the photos you're using to paint the texture, and maybe do another texture pass from scratch and use a combination of the two, there are certain artistic 'rules' surrounding the colouration of facial regions which you can't always get from slapping down a photo, photos often lie. Eyes also have a pretty nailed-down method of creation for 3D. Some awesome stuff on this in the Polycount wiki which you should definitely read.

Hope some of that helps :)