Home General Discussion

South Park: Stick of Truth

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
There's a gameplay video of this now. Didn't see any other thread about it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3VUcXEASo0"]South Park: The Stick of Truth - 7 Minutes of Gameplay - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHYcPAqIDX0"]Matt Stone & Trey Parker on South Park: The Stick of Truth - IGN Live - E3 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Honestly, the game looks real awesome. Here's the thing too, I don't usually like JRPGs at all, but this one looks like an awesome game.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Looks awesome, this is how you do a licensed game. It looks a lot more like Paper Mario combat wise with JRPG elements.

Southpark did a recent episode that kinda played homage to the game. http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s17e07-black-friday
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I really can't wait for this game, I hope it plays as good as it looks. The last two South Park games were OK at best. The Tower Defense spin off was fun for a while though.
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Those 7 minutes of gameplay did soften the blow of the delay announcement and making Jimmy a bard was pure genius and in the vein of South Park.
    But with the delay, it'll be interesting to see how the next gen consoles affect the sale figures.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I haven't been following this game at all considering I rarely watch South Park, but damn that was hilarious. I'm thinking this will be a day 1 buy for me haha.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you guys familiar with any other games that have similar gameplay?
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    That looks amazing, I wish they came out with an mmorpg with the southpark theme.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Are you guys familiar with any other games that have similar gameplay?
    While it's not exactly identical, this gameplay video reminded me of Penny Arcade Adventures:Episode 2. It's a turn based RPG that is also pretty enjoyable and it has hilarious dialog which is always a nice thing.
  • kn0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day one purchase.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro wrote: »
    While it's not exactly identical, this gameplay video reminded me of Penny Arcade Adventures:Episode 2. It's a turn based RPG that is also pretty enjoyable and it has hilarious dialog which is always a nice thing.

Right on. I'll check that out.

Was looking for a less comedic one though. But I guess that's basically any JRPG out there.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Right on. I'll check that out.

Was looking for a less comedic one though. But I guess that's basically any JRPG out there.
    Can't say I can think of an identical RPG that is less comedic, at least a modern one anyway. If you've got a PS3 then some great JRPGs to check out would definitely be Ni No Kuni:Wrath of the White Witch and Disgaea 4/Disgaea D2:A Brighter Darkness.

NNK is like final fantasy combined with pokemon combined with one of the greatest art styles I've ever seen in a game and Disgaea is a lot like Final Fantasy Tactics. While neither is really similar to The Stick of Truth, they're both great jrpgs.

If you have a Wii then you should definitely grab Paper Mario as it is similar in terms of combat to The Stick of Truth.

There was also a game called Costume Quest that looks pretty similar, but I haven't played it myself.

I'll try to look for more similar games and get back to you later, good luck in the game search!
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=384l-tgjptQ"]"South Park The Stick of Truth Trailer" (South Park VGX Trailer 2013 HD) - YouTube[/ame]
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This game is awesome. I can get in. Play. Not be bogged down with crazy mechanics or weapon systems. I wanted this more than a PS4.

Some parts are hard to play because it is so funny.

Buy it. Buy it. Buy it.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    I agree amazing game that really fun, and really really really funny.
    The gameplay is actually good and even without the southpark world it would be a great game.

My only complaint is it is way to short. I beat it in a day and a half. This is one of the few times where I wish they make DLC with more content :)
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Amazingly great game, and I'll concur on it being a bit too short. With this system in place, I wouldnt mind if they took a page from episodic content we started seeing with adventure games on steam.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Dataday wrote: »
    Amazingly great game, and I'll concur on it being a bit too short. With this system in place, I wouldnt mind if they took a page from episodic content we started seeing with adventure games on steam.

Just start making each season of SouthPark a game :poly142:
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How long did it take you guys to beat the game in terms of actual hours played? I generally play a ton of JRPGs so I don't really touch anything under 20-30 hours of gameplay (between 40-60 is the average for JRPGs).

This game looks great but I don't really want to spend $60 on an 8 hour RPG. I've been hearing a lot of mixed things about the length.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Roughly a 12-16 hour game if you play it normally, probably more if you just explore and goof around a bit.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro wrote: »
    How long did it take you guys to beat the game in terms of actual hours played? I generally play a ton of JRPGs so I don't really touch anything under 20-30 hours of gameplay (between 40-60 is the average for JRPGs).
    Most people get through in 15-17 hours. It's a great 15 hours.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You can rush through the game in 9 hours, but doing all the side quests and explore everything is more like 20 hrs.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did some searching and found this site and from the looks of it the game will last between 10-20 hours. As awesome as the game looks, I think the best choice for me would be to wait until a Steam sale which will most likely come this summer. Sometimes I wish all the great games didn't come out at once :(