Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Compound Steel Armor - Neck

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Cactus on Fire polycounter lvl 10
This is the Neck protection part of the thingy. 4232 polys and 1024x1024 tex size. I'm not sure if I should have baked the screws and bolts to the surface, because they take up pretty much most of the polygon count. But it doesn't look that well when they are flat.

Also what is the average polygon count for NPC models in modern videogames like Crysis, Battlefield or COD ? I assume my finished model would be around 20k to 30k, is it too much ?

Thanks for any help.
0u9Iwod.jpg

Replies

• Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And the digi camo

Z7wom9n.jpg
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Train polycounter lvl 15
    Hey Cactus,

20-30K for the entire character would be fine.

You probably should bake screws to the surface, unless there's an element that you want to show up in the silhouette of the model that will help the overall design.

A 1024x1024 for just the steel armor piece for the neck is way too high though. You are modeling an entire character right? Usually you would place the face on to a 1K or 2K texture and have a seperate 2K or 4K texture for the body.

Also keep in mind, that if a characters neck will be in the armour, you won't see any of the inside details as their neck and head would be blocking all of that detail. So it's time spent on your end modeling, where you won't actually see anything. Something to keep in mind. Again, not sure if you're modeling the rest of the character or not?

If you have any other Q's ask away. Looking good so far :)
  • BigK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigK polycounter lvl 4
    Could also try just having cylinders there for the screws with a good normal baked on them. It would cut the un-needed polys out and still give a little bit more to the silhouette if you really wanted to keep them. You can get away with baking a lot of that detail into a simple mesh, but testing out a few different versions of bolts/screws with a less detailed mesh but still a good normal bake might do you some good here.
  • Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Train wrote: »
    Hey Cactus,

20-30K for the entire character would be fine.

You probably should bake screws to the surface, unless there's an element that you want to show up in the silhouette of the model that will help the overall design.

A 1024x1024 for just the steel armor piece for the neck is way too high though. You are modeling an entire character right? Usually you would place the face on to a 1K or 2K texture and have a seperate 2K or 4K texture for the body.

Also keep in mind, that if a characters neck will be in the armour, you won't see any of the inside details as their neck and head would be blocking all of that detail. So it's time spent on your end modeling, where you won't actually see anything. Something to keep in mind. Again, not sure if you're modeling the rest of the character or not?

If you have any other Q's ask away. Looking good so far :)

Thanks for taking the time to write it. Yeah, I think I will bake most of the small bolts to the surface. Not sure what I'm going to do with the cables though, they cost like 2k poly too.
    My pc can't really handle the entire highpoly body armor in one scene, so I bake the parts seperately, rearrange the lowpoly parts, and bake it as a whole again. Which is why these parts have high texture size :) The final body armor should be around 2k resolution
  • Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigK wrote: »
    Could also try just having cylinders there for the screws with a good normal baked on them. It would cut the un-needed polys out and still give a little bit more to the silhouette if you really wanted to keep them. You can get away with baking a lot of that detail into a simple mesh, but testing out a few different versions of bolts/screws with a less detailed mesh but still a good normal bake might do you some good here.

I might do that too. Even the small bolts are like 30 poly each and there are lots of them. Cylinders drop it down to 20 poly. And most of them will be on the surface anyway.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Firstly, really nice work! Make sure to block out the main forms before you start detailing, best advice i was ever given when i started HP.

To help optimize, keep the full detail version to one side, then strip it down for the full character. You are literally making more work for yourself ;')

As for the wires, 2k is overkill. I'd suggest striping them out, especially the inside neck part, it's just won't be seen when the head mesh is in place etc. If you want the wire detail bake it down and keep a shape similar to this on this inside;
    n39JhrF.png

That way you still keep some of the relief you want, at a fraction of the polys.

The same can be said for all the screws on that neck ridge, the relief won't be seen at all and they're easy to bake down :)

Great technical piece of work at any rate, just keep in mind the scope and overall constraints you will face. Poly/texture budgets etc and you'll be fine!
  • jinn15
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey cactus,

lookin good =D so shiny and pretty haha but serious business stuff...

i just learned this pretty recently but when you zoom out, if it effects the silhouette, make it have polys, but if not then just let the normal map do its thing

tucg.jpg

the ones in green is good, and red is using too many polys
    the ones in green look totally fine and you're saving a lot of poly on something that can be used on something else

oh and for the cables... i THINK... very big think... if you're worried about poly limit then u can get away w/ making the low poly cables from triangles instead of a cylinder =P someone else can correct me if i am way off here... XD

but hope this helps in some way =D