Home General Discussion

best xbox360 games ?? + question on it's market,,,

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Belias polycounter lvl 14
Hello, i just bought a used xbox360 console, currently playing soul calibur IV, which i think is good, what games do you like or advice me to get ?

is fez worth getting ?

the other question, if i made an xbox game with xna, would i still be able to sell it on it's store ? in other words, would the store still be active for 2 years ?

Replies

• ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I really wouldn't count on being able to sell a product over XBL in two years time.

Fez is a good game, but you can probably get the PC version cheaper. Of the exclusives, the Forza, Gears of War and Halo series are pretty polished. Shadow Complex and Viva Pinata are games that may be worth picking up.

IMHO, I found Soul Caliber 4 to be entertaining, but on the whole a fairly amateur production and it felt a bit 'empty'.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I had a lot of good experiences on Soul Calibur 4 haha. Unfortunately the 360 is on its way out with the next-gen consoles coming out and all so I'd imagine a lot of people will migrate over to a new platform. As a result of this, you won't see too many people online on some older games like Gears of War 1, Halo 3, etc.

Since you just got the platform, I'd recommend picking up Halo 4, Gears of War:Judgement, and some good singleplayer games like Alan Wake.

Have fun!
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belias polycounter lvl 14
    hey ambershee, how are you ?

what about if i want to make some XBOX360 game so i learn how to make XBOX-ONE games in the future ?

I hate FPS Games (portal is excluded)

shadow complex seems to be fine though...

i will play these
    silent hill downpour
    metal gear (raiden character game)
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    The XBox Live store is going to be going strong for several years. But I would expect a lot of the sales in two years to be on the XBox One. There will still be some traffic on the 360 side of things, but not as much. Your best bet would be to release it for both the 360 AND the XBox One. (and possibly PSN as well)

Also, the XNA framework is effectively dead at this point. If you want to use something similar, I would take a good hard look at Monogame. This is the unofficial "successor" to the XNA framework, and should do you proper for developing games in the same methodology that most XNA games were developed in. It's delightfully cross-platform as well, so you won't be limited in where you can port your game to. The Unity game engine is also a solid option, and is going to have full XBox One support.

For solid 360 games, I would look at Viva Pinata, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, and Culdcept Saga. Those will give you some off-the-beaten-track non FPS games.

For a few non-exclusive titles, you can't go wrong with the Batman Arkham games. The Assassin's Creed series is also quite good, even if the first game can be a little slow. I would critical-path the first Assassin's Creed game and take your time enjoying the second.

Right now is actually a great time to be picking up a 360 for the first time. The library of games is huge, well documented, and fairly cheap. You'll be able to pick up and enjoy as many games as you like for next to nothing. And all the prior research and suggestions on titles will help you select only the best.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    The XBox Live store is going to be going strong for several years.

Rumour has it they're going to shut it off in early 2016, so you've got two years left. Live services will probably continue for longer.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    ambershee wrote: »
    Rumour has it they're going to shut it off in early 2016, so you've got two years left. Live services will probably continue for longer.

I assume you are referring to the 360's storefront, and not XBox Live in general? There is no chance that all of XBox Live gets closed down in 2016. Not unless the Xbox One bombs something fierce.

But it is for reasons like this that I suggested releasing your game on both the 360 and the XBox One. Most of the current multi-platform engines should be compatible with both systems.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    My favorite Xbox 360 games are...
    Gears of War series
    Lost Odyssey - classic style Final Fantasy type game
    Alan Wake
    Fable 2 and 3
    Mass Effect 1
    Bayonetta
    Skate 1 and 2
    The Darkness
    Dead Rising
    Splinter Cell Conviction
    Castle Crashers
    Braid

Good multiplatform game that I played on my PS3
    GTA4 and 5
    Dead Space
    Darksiders
    Red Dead Redemption
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I don't own a 360, but the one game thats exclusive that I've always wanted on it is IloMilo. I think it's digital download only but it's a charming puzzle game.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I don't own a 360, but the one game thats exclusive that I've always wanted on it is IloMilo. I think it's digital download only but it's a charming puzzle game.
    I completely forgot about that game. It was one of the best puzzle games I've ever played, the art style and overall atmosphere is quite beautiful. I purchased it for $10 back when it came out, I'd imagine the price is still around the same.