Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character model, Fantasy/Steampunk inspired character

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Kiyamlol polycounter lvl 12
Hi everyone,

This is a character I am aspiring to put into a show-reel. It is currently a work in progress. However work has been slow as its been going through constant tweaking.

This is the concept I sketched and have been working to something similar to it:

tumblr_mvhj505hs61r1kvu6o1_r1_1280.jpg

I am trying to go for the same style. I started with a more realistic anatomy sculpt and then exaggerated the proportions.

This is the current zbrush model:

tumblr_mw88x4KHCe1r1kvu6o1_1280.jpg

I'd appreciate any feedback :)

Kind regards~

Replies

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Very nice concept!

The sculpt is coming along so far, proportions look pretty sound except I think his arms are a little too short and his legs from the calf up are a touch thicker in the concept. Wish I could see a closeup of the face.

You have everything laid out pretty nicely but you need to work on the cloth folds a little more, they are looking pretty formless and blobby right now, sharpening and refining them can go a long way. I'm also not sure what's going on with the shapes on his shirt under the jacket, are they supposed to be wrinkles as well?

Other than those things good start! I look forward to seeing more.
  • Kiyamlol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Alemja: Thank you for the feedback :) I am glad you like the concept.

Your right about the legs >.< I need to make them thicker, I am curious and unsure about how much space you would put between the leg gap so that it wouldn't cause difficulties during rigging/posing.

I am having a hard time on folds at the moment. I am using reference from real sources but I am trying to define the fine line between real and stylization so that their isn't too much folds that can be distracting or too little to be uninteresting. Sorry about the blobby mess on folds. Got any ideas how you would go about it? I didn't notice the mess on the shirt because he did have a vest on but i deleted it to redo it hahahaha XD I need to smooth it out and do the folds again...

This is the head in maya viewport. I don't know how to turn off the backface culling in hair so it looks like it lost volume :S I am using the dx11 shader.

tumblr_mw9fpzS9cM1r1kvu6o1_500.jpg

Kind regards~
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    To turn it off simple hold down spacebar > shading > Backface culling . great work so far, the eyes seems a bit off. Cant really say why :(
  • Kiyamlol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx wrote: »
    To turn it off simple hold down spacebar > shading > Backface culling . great work so far, the eyes seems a bit off. Cant really say why :(

@wirrexx: Wow your right he looks cross eyed or something XD i think its cos i widened the pupil and socket too much. i will fix it :3

i have turned backface culling off in that option. IT is the shader that is causing it but duno why :S. I am using the dx11Shader in maya 2014 for viewport 2

Kind regards~
  • Kiyamlol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also some tweaking I did to him today C:

tumblr_mw9fpzS9cM1r1kvu6o2_r1_1280.jpg

Tried to make the eyes look less cross eyed. Widen up some parts of his body and been working on other areas. I think its almost ready for polypainting but still I am unsure? :S

Kind regards~
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    I would work on his thighs/legs, I don't make characters but personally they just look a bit... off? Its the first thing that jumps at me at least. I think thickness is indeed the problem, but more so down below the knees. Another thing is his shoulders, they are pretty straight, more so like a woman's rather than mans. Just angle them a bit more up towards his neck.

Otherwise he is coming around pretty good so far! keep at it!
  • Kiyamlol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Higuy: Thank you for the feedback higuy. I did some rework on the legs, and hips. Also redid his pants and made it into two subtools. Also changed his sleeves and shoulder area and a bit of the body. Also added more details to his clothes.

tumblr_mwf9wtPk3u1r1kvu6o1_1280.jpg

What do you guys think? I really need to start polypainting soon xD