Home General Discussion

key pieces of information

valuemeal
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
Hey fellows,

Have you ever been without a key piece of information that could have made life immensely easier for you? I certainly have, and seems as though I would have made better pieces in the past if I did. Perhaps we should have a thread about misinformation or lack of information so that fellows can gather it, if they have not obtained it already.

1. I wish I would have figured out about painttool sai years ago, I gave up on digital linework for a couple of years because everything kept getting squwiggly, or the smoothing feature in flash ate up ram when I had a horrible computer back in 07.

2. In game rendering programs are very helpful, it seems as though I was using maya render layers up until then, that was a no good process. Also I was unaware of how one rendered in zbrush up until a few weeks ago.

3. Zbrush altogether (projecting, normals, maps, and things of that nature) it seemed as though it didn't come to me as easily as most folks, I didn't really figure out about subtools, or the fact that one could use anything for projection until coming here. I was under the false assumption that anything made in zbrush could never be taken out of the program and one had to import premade objects.

I probably have many more misconceptions, but I cannot think of any right now, perhaps you fellows could share some of yours, and we can learn something from one another.

Replies

• Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Personally, here are a few super useful things I've learned.

1. FireAlpaca exists. It runs much better on this computer and had I known about it earlier I'd probably have done a ton more digital painting practice.

2. Double clicking on the brush tool in Illustrator gives you more options for brush control. Somehow I missed this until recently so I always skipped using the brush tool, but it can make it much easier to do certain things when working on certain designs.

3. Flip and rotate your art while you work on it. Many times I cringe when I forget to do this or look at my older art, because when you look at it from another angle you can see how imbalanced or skewed your drawing can actually get.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Clip Studio Paint is basically SAI 2.0. http://www.clipstudio.net/en/
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I wish I knew my current knowledge of normal maps earlier. I remember the first time I tried to bake normals from a high poly model...worst day ever.
  • AndroidBebop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro wrote: »
    I wish I knew my current knowledge of normal maps earlier. I remember the first time I tried to bake normals from a high poly model...worst day ever.

Why was it the worst day ever exactly?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    monster wrote: »
    Clip Studio Paint is basically SAI 2.0. http://www.clipstudio.net/en/
    This is an awesome feature:

func_en_24.jpg
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    1) There's a LOT you can do with Transfer Attributes in Maya, like shrink-wrapping one mesh to another or alinging a selection of vertices to a plane to mimic 3DS's "make planer" option. The advantage though is that you can then move the plane like a deformer, repositioning the attached verts with it.

2) With Adobe products, the pen tool is best used for an initial block-out of your shape, followed by the direct selection tool, convert anchor point, etc. to tweak the curves and points the way you want. I've met professional designers who haven't figured this out.

3) In Illustrator, if you want true control over your line weight, make your lines with the pen tool (not the brush) and use the width tool to tweak it. The brush tool draws shapes, not lines, they only get as thin as your base unit (points, pixels etc.) and you can't tweak them as easily later on.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Why was it the worst day ever exactly?
    I basically spent the entire day clicking every button possible in 3DS Max, when that failed I watched a bunch of different tutorial videos in which following step by step did not work, and as I was about to give up, I decided to keep trying until I finally got it. Now I can bake flawless every time, awwwwwwww yeahhhhhhhhh!
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Lamont wrote: »
    This is an awesome feature:

func_en_24.jpg
    Do you know if this is related to Illustudio at all? The font for the title looks familiar, if it's literally the same program but in english that would be amazing.

EDIT: I just checked, has the same features, made by the same company, it is Illustudio.