Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Retro TV Room

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Pookhan polycounter lvl 13
Hello Polycounter's, it's been ages since I've posted my work on here so Thought I'd start a thread. I'm working on a TV room kind of 80s/90s style. Main aims for this scene is to illuminate the room through the TV light and to have realtime video playback on the screen. And also to work on my general lighting, scale, composition and asset development. Anyway here is my current WIP of the scene and some of the assets.

1zmnqlc.jpg

24e2bgg.jpg

syxwfc.jpg

21ki936.jpg

1zbcvtf.jpg

29f801z.jpg

There is a weird orange glow around some of the assets that are on the floor in UDK. Any insight into what this is would be appreciated. The black bit on the floor is placeholder for a rug. As always, crits very welcome!

Replies

• Pookhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know why I get this orange glow around these objects? I have no idea why this happens when things touch the floor mesh.

255kfbk.jpg

9u13b8.jpg

Anybody know?!
  • megasean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megasean polycounter lvl 7
    Is there lights under your floor? I would try repositioning them and see what happens. That and make sure they aren't going through the floor also.
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could be something to do with the environment light settings?
    There are like environment color setting and loads of other AO color stuff in View -> World Properties that might give the effects you are getting?

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Lightmass_Tutorial.html
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Those props are pretty cool, but your lighting is not showing any of their surface qualities. I would say to use a less saturated light source, and subtle secondary light sources just to give the scene more depth :)
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For that extra touch of realism, consider having the VCR clock flash "!2:00". :) On a more serious note, the clock will provide some illumination, especially in a dark room.
  • Pookhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits, people! I've desaturated the light a bit and brightened it some more.

Right now I'm a bit concerned about the scale of everything, particularly the lamp in the background. It looks really small but compared to my character reference it is in proportion. Any ideas why it might look so small in the composition? The lighting build on this is preview atm for the sake of time.

vmqibd.jpg

As always, please throw any crits you have at me! Cheers.
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    I like the scene, still I think it need a bit more works with the lightning ( I would add a second lightning source let's say comig from the kitchen behind ), It's still slightly to dark in my opinion and the single light give a monochromati feel to your environment.

As it is right now, I would pretty much see a portergeist TV effect instead of the D of Dreamworks.

like this :P
    poltergeist+poster.jpg

also, I would very much see some stitches on the borders of the curtain on the right. Large or think borders whatever your choice. I think it would give a more " realistic " look to it and it will help creating a contrast between it and the wall behind it.
  • Pookhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @underfox Thanks for the suggestions. I agree, it does look monochromatic. As for the TV, the Dreamworks intro in placeholder right now. I will probably use an old movie like Terminator or Star Wars. Still deciding on that :)

So here is the latest update. I've tried to make the lighting more interesting by adding a second light source. I have light coming in from a slightly open door. However I think it looks out of place unless the door is visible.

v8igs0.jpg
  • Pookhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent some time on this over xmas. Changed a lot in terms of the lighting and props.

14wuovs.jpg

2ia7k8n.jpg

I have asset renders on my portfolio
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustGarry polycounter lvl 4
    Really cool scene well done :)