Home Unreal Engine

Help reducing scale dependent lightmass artifacts?

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
For the scene I'm working on, it's going to require some very clean lighting, I brought in my low poly modular mesh as soon as it was unwrapped to make sure I could get the lighting right.

VWLcTYY.jpg

The hexagon on the left is 4x bigger than the one on the right, as you can see this effects the artifacts I am getting, I've tried disabling compression, increasing the number of light map bounces, and increasing the light map resolution, but none of those have worked. Does any else have anymore ideas? It almost looks like it needs more sampling in shadowed areas. The shadow lines are clean and sharp, and color is being properly reflected and bounced, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with the UVs for the light map.

Replies

• r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    Try cutting your light bounces all together -- it might help. Have you considered dynamic lighting instead? I know it is kind of taboo in UDK, but it has produced some nice results in tests.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I was hoping to get some soft lighting, but I'm not sure how possible that would be with dynamic lighting. Also the lighting is going to be similar to this image, which I have no idea how I'd fake dynamically.

b5m8Olu.jpg
  • Santewi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried World properties -> Static Lighting Level Scale?
  • mAlkAv!An
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mAlkAv!An polycounter lvl 5
    I'd suggest to set up the lighting similar to your final level for further testing. Especially if you gonna use emissive lighting the result might be very different to the default scene which has a dominant directional light with distance field shadows.
    You might also get some unwanted shadowing due to lightmass ambient occlusion.