Home Technical Talk

Microsoft Surface Pro 2 Or Similar Win 8 Pen Tablets

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Computron polycounter lvl 7
I will soon be in the market for a portable computer on which I can make 3D Art, but I would also like to have it in a tablet form factor. I am planning to run software like Modo, 3ds Max, Zbrush, PS and perhaps some quixel plugins as well as Cry3 and UDK on this computer.

The Surface Pro 2 (Specifically the 256gb/8GB-RAM SKU) looks pretty tempting, but I would like to know what kind of problems to expect and if anyone with experience could chime in.

Also, are there any particularly good alternatives that have the Tablet Formfactor, strong specs for 3D art, and Pen input that are worth considering in the ~1000$ (USD, +/- $300) Price range?

Replies

• Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I have a surface pro 1, and to be honest the novelty of it has worn off. I tried to use it for 3d and 2d art, and while it can get used the small screen and performance can become an issue. That said the surface pro 2 has some better specs, and its certainly usable, I would say based on experience so far, unless you absolutely need that portability and will use it often, I would avoid it for what you propose.

I also wouldnt expect to run UDK or Cry3 on it. They are not really built to be gpu based workstations.

Already ordered a lenovo y510p (only $900 usd right now, haswell quadcore, 2gig nvida gpu, 8-16 gigs of ram, can add another gpu in place of dvd drive for SLI, 15inch form factor ) which includes specs that can actually handle these kinds of apps with ease. Will bundle it with a 13hd cintiq. Much more functional than the surface pro line, which are good computers but not for work outside of simple 2d stuff.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    The size is somewhat of a concern only because of the DPI scaling issues I am reading about with the original surface, although I hear Win 8.1 will work to address that.

My expectations for Cry3 and UDK would only really be for assembling environment art for portfolio, not for playing games. (Mostly static stuff to, in other words I wont be Frapsing videos out of the viewport for flythroughs and I wont be animating characters or anything) I am not sure what to expect with its performance in this regard, but performance in Max/Modo and Zbrush for 2nd level Sub-D meshes is important.

I got a GTX 770 at home for gaming, so I likely wont want a gaming laptop since I would just end up wishing I was playing on my desktop. (and one with a pen tablet formfactor would probably be too expensive or nonexistent for the foreseeable future) As long as it can run 3D art DCC tools at decent, interactive framerates I think I would be fine. What's been your experience with the Surface 1's performance in this area?

Are you saying that you are going to carry around that IdeaPad laptop and the Cintiq with you? How are you going to power that thing? Doesn't seem all that portable either. The specs on that lenovo do look very nice, although, I have a hard time believing it will get the 5 hour battery life if you actually use them specs.

If I was going to buy a portable computer, I would prefer it to be a pen tablet formfactor, and that is seemingly only now beginning to be possible, although it may very well still be to early.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I have the dell latitude 10. Its atom based and thus only 2gb in it.on the plus side it can last 8-9 hours off a charge if you dont run the screen too bright.

Its a great bit of kit for the size/price and since wacom released decent drivers its really nice to sketch on - you need to apply a fair bit of pressure for it to register but its plenty progressive enough once youre used to it.
    Things go a bit wacky at the edges of the screen but thats been the case with every tablet pc ive used ( ive owned many wacom based ones over the years)
    Downside is no keyboard which ruins photoshop and zbrush (I got a logitech unified wireless one to match my mouse to solve that)
    It is however perfect for sculptris and sketchbook pro.

silo runs well too but you need the keyboard for that and its not great with pen input

Id be dubious about paying out for a surface pro as I dont think theyre suited for hardcore work. The atom based ones are perfect for noodling and sketching wherever you happen to be sitting - finishing gets done on the big computer.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    What about the higher priced ones, like the (upcoming?) Cintiq Companion?