Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old Shed (UDK)

Equanim
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Equanim polycounter lvl 11
Trying to get this finished up this week, but not without crits...

JR_OS_crit1_1.jpg
JR_OS_crit1_2.jpg
JR_OS_crit1_3.jpg
JR_OS_crit1_4.jpg
JR_OS_crit1_5.jpg

The whole scene is roughly 40k tris including the extra draw calls for double sided polygons. Any crits/advice are welcome.

Replies

• thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really like the texture work, very naturalistic feel.
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    The trash bin could look more metal like, feels like plastic atm, if thats what ur going for tho I think it could use a better material. Same goes for the wheelbarrow. Ur scene seems to be lacking specular work overall. Adding in some spec/gloss textures in ur materials could really make this pop.
    I like the overall scene tho, and the grass/nature stuff looks pretty cool. Keep going this could be great! :)
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    I think it looks great, but it could be improved by adding some rocks and roots to the underside as it currently looks very empty. You might also want to add some dirt/grunge along the bottom of the building and behind some of the boards via vertex paint if your engine/shader supports it as it looks a little flat without it.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    @Rhoutermans I believe that is supposed to be a plastic trash bin.

I like the variations in the ground textures.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    A few things. I would bring out and work with the spec on the wheel barrow, maybe some of the paint is coming off and there is some nice reflective metal you can work in there. While I think this isn't bad it feels kinda flat as far as materials go. I would also turn the plants a little more orange as it feels much nicer to look at that way in my opinion. I would add some more interesting things to it too, maybe a satellite dish on the top or something to kinda give the scene just a bit more. I would definitely mess with the lighting and go for something like this.

WjwQZk4.jpg
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Aside from what's been mentioned already, I'd adjust some of the colors in the foliage. Specifically, the tree and the yellow plants. They're very similar and it's even more obvious in Alex's adjustment image(although I do like the brighter lighting).
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice texture work man! I agree with Rhoutermans though the trash can could look more metal unless its suppose to be one of those plastic ones? I think metal would look better though.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic feedback guys, thank you!

A couple of updates...
    JR_OS_crit2_1.jpg
    JR_OS_crit2_2.jpg

I tweaked the lighting and texture colors a bit as per Alex's advice. I didn't go quite as warm because it started to look a little too orange from the player's perspective, even though it does look nice from a distance. I may tweak the lighting a bit further as the sunny side of the scene feels a bit washed out.

I also changed the smaller plants slightly, scuffed up the wheelbarrow a bit more, brought up the specular maps and replaced the trashcan with one that's a bit more recognizable. (The old one was plastic btw. It's funny how things like that change based on where in the world you live.)

@Nosslak, I added roots to the ground ball, but they don't show up very well from a distance and I'm a bit worried of going overboard with them. I like the idea of adding some dirt along the bottom of the shed. I might see what I can do with decals.

@Alex, I know exactly what you mean by how it could use something more. I didn't want to put something as elaborate as a satellite dish on because I don't envision the shed having power. I ended up adding a small chimney which kind of helps but really I think it needs something in the grassy area forward and left from the door. I may add another tree in that area to help break up the light.

If anyone has any more suggestions, I'm all ears!
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The black background is a bit distracting. A neutral gray gradient is generally a good choice, but in this case a sky blue gradient might be better.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more finalized renders, crits welcome as always!
    JR_OS_Crit3_1.jpg
    JR_OS_Crit3_2.jpg

Thanks again for the feedback thus far guys! :)
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    The new update looks great. The background helps a lot. One thing that stands out since you did a close-up of the shed are the textures you used. The bricks and the air vent don't really make sense to me. I'd stick with wood where the bricks are and either leave the vent area open or put a plank or two in vertically. The texel density or resolution of the wood seems a little off too, making the wood look massive. Or maybe it's just the low angle in the 3rd shot in the attachments?