Home Unreal Engine

Lighting channels, weird behaviour

ng.aniki
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
Hello !
Here is my issue:

I am building a scene in UDK, and I added some small skeletal mesh of red papers hanging from a tree (This scene: http://24.media.tumblr.com/d711070f088552607e9f4547f62ddb39/tumblr_mijesgBQlZ1s6o4nio1_1280.jpg ).
The thing is, with my ambient lighting of the scene, and the lights positions, there is not enough specular highlights on those red papers (Well, I want more spec, so they would pop out more, especially with the wind animation boosting the specular channel in the texture does not work because the light position also accounts ).

So what I though: I will create an additional light that would only light those red papers, and highlight them. It did not seem difficult, I just had to add a light, uncheck every Lighting Channels except Unnamed1 in its properties, and check the Unnamed1 Lighting Channel only on the skeletal mesh.

But it did not work as expected:

SsK4Mc.gif]

1-All Lighting Channel disabled.
2-With the configuration I just said, the red papers are a little bit lit by the light(Barely), but there is no specular highlight whatsoever, even if I boost light intensity to hundreds.
3-If I check Dynamic in addition to that, I get stronger lighting on the skeletal mesh and specular highlight, and the rest of the scene is lit.
3b-But when in-game, all of this disappears, the paper and the scene a no longer lit by the scene
4-If I check Static instead of Dynamic, the scene and the paper are lit, in editor and in game. Which does not make sense for the paper, the Static lighting channel is not even checked.

Could someone explain to me how I am supposed to do here ? I am completely lost. I do not understand why the paper is lit when 'unnamed1' lighting channel is checked on both the light and the skeletal mesh, but not lit as much as when other lighting channels are checked.