Home Unreal Engine

Exporting Multiple Meshes With Collision Into UDK

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spoon polycounter lvl 11
Hello PC,

Say I build an asset out of several objects. If I want to import that into UDK, I tick "Combine Meshes" in the import dialogue, and everything is fine.
However, once I have collision in the FBX as well, I only get the object with the name of the collision. If, for example, the scene I export is.

ObjectA
ObjectB
UCX_ObjectA_01

Then I only get

UCX_ObjectA_01
ObjectA
into UDK.

It becomes very frustrating to constantly having to collapse meshes (I am in max atm) before exporting to UDK.

Do you know how I can get this to work properly?

Replies

• r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    Honestly, I would build the meshes the way you want them to appear in UDK. There's no way to really predict how your meshes will turn out after you run them through an automated system like that. I can only assume UDK is invalidating the collision after it combines the first two meshes because the naming convention is now wrong.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the reply, R4ptur3.
    What do you mean, with building the mesh the way I want them to appear? That's what I am doing! :)
    Let's say I am building a lollipop. I would make a long cylinder for the stick, and a wide short one for the head. Now that is 2 diferent object, and I would like to NOT combine them in max, to easier work with them.
    I noticed yesterday, that I had an asset that consistently worked when I did this, so there is a way. I just haven't found out what makes it break or work yet.

Can you help me with it? What is your approach when you are building assets? Do you combine it all before export?
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, i combine them all myself and make collision in Maya as opposed to letting UDK handle all that. I keep the parts separated off to the side, and then a final combined and triangulated version at global zero. It sucks, but it's a surefire way to make sure everything imports correctly.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    If you don't require this mesh to ever e split up in the future, you may as combine them at export then just undo that combine after exporting.

Alternatively, you can export each part you are using as its own asset then assemble them in UDK, if that's what you are doing in Max. This can actually be better if you are reusing the same mesh multiple times because its only loading that mesh once into memory, versus the unique group of meshes coming from Max.

Also, take a look at the Mesh Proxy Tool that udk has
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MeshProxyTool.html
    this can merge multiple meshes into a unique one, with its own texture and it is fairly optimized. Just something to throw out there, I'm not completely sure what your end goal is. Good luck.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks a lot, both of you :)