Home General Discussion

Calling all game artists..

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
bcottage polycounter lvl 13
I am a student currently in my last year at University of Hertfordshire studying game art. For one of my assignments i need a few of you to fill this in for me :).

If you are currently working in the game industry please keep in touch as my University are always looking for professionals to come down to Hertfordshire and give talks to our students.

Anyway here they are (you can email me the questions if you prefer @ ben_cottage@hotmail.co.uk)

1. What Company do you work at?
2. What is your job title?
3. How long have you been working at your current job?
4. What is the best part of your job?
5. What is the worst?
6. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
7. What would say your ultimate goal is?
8. When was the moment when you thought “yep, I can do this as a career”
9. What is the most important personality trait to be a top game artist?
10. If you went back in time to your past self what advice would you give yourself to further your career?

Replies

• Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    1: Wolfire Games
    2. Artist
    3. 5 years
    4. Doing what I feel like
    5. Not being able to execute my ideas fast enough
    6. At my apartment, in a chair, in front of my computer
    7. Helping other people be more awesome
    8. 9 years ago, when I got my first stable contract gig
    9. A desire to actually do the work
    10. "Don't buy that shitty Boxx computer -- it's too damn loud, and its Quadro card is crap"
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    To help you prepare for the future, you do know that some of the staff from your course are on here? Calling an assignment shitty on a public forum where the people that may have set that assignment could see you do that isn't terribly clever.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    To help you prepare for the future, you do know that some of the staff from your course are on here? Calling an assignment shitty on a public forum where the people that may have set that assignment could see you do that isn't terribly clever.

that and his name is pretty much all laid out in his email, very poor form, many people even here im sure would love the opportunity to learn there and it looks like you are taking it for granted.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    @ Rick Stirling - Your absolutly right i meant no disrespect to the University as the course itself is amazing, im very lucky to be on this course. Please dont take this the wrong way (post was written at 2 in the morning and left it to the last min)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ''''''''''''

Just giving you some of those. Don't worry about paying me back, they're a gift.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I normally don't like replying to these, but since your thread is in danger of descending into cat.gif hell I'll help you out.

bcottage wrote: »
    1. What Company do you work at?
    2. What is your job title?
    3. How long have you been working at your current job?
    Her Interactive, Lead Character Animator/Technical Artist, 7 years.
    4. What is the best part of your job?
    • No crunch
    • Core hours (I get off work at 3pm)
    • 7 years of stable employment
    • Constantly changing locations in the games, it's never 2-3 years of nothing but sci-fi hallways or space marines with one emotion.
    5. What is the worst?
    Not living close to work.
    6. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
    Honestly I'm not sure, it really depends on what the industry decides to do over the next few months, how it changes and what opportunities pop up. I'd love to open my own studio but the market has to be there to support it and that likely won't happen in the next 5 years.
    7. What would say your ultimate goal is?
    Studio ownership or financial security.
    8. When was the moment when you thought “yep, I can do this as a career”
    When I started getting offers out of the blue to do freelance work. "Oh hey, people want to pay me for something I consider a hobby? I should look around and see if anyone pays people to do that full time". Then 2-3 years later after a lot of googling and practicing, I started applying.
    9. What is the most important personality trait to be a top game artist?
    Humility and the ability to take criticism on the chin and NOT stomp around like a whiny toddler. Being able to disconnect from your art and view it as a product instead of a personal extension of your soul.
    10. If you went back in time to your past self what advice would you give yourself to further your career?
    1) In summer of 2007 sell your condo and start renting.
    2) There will be times that you think the grass is greener and that other IP is shinier and newer, but don't chase it unless it actually makes sense to do so. Realize that what you have is pretty awesome and be happy with it. Your work and your mood will improve drastically when you get that "I'll be happy later or some place else" monkey off your back.
    3) Don't worry about staying in the industry for life there are plenty of things you can do to bring in cash.