Home Technical Talk

3dsmax uv editor help please!

monkeymintaka
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
monkeymintaka polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys,

I have this problem that I can't find a solution too so hoped someone with more experience would know.
I am following a tutorial in 3ds max and am at the texturing stage. I have put a uvw unwrap mod on the object, and placed the 2048 as a material and in the texture ed. but when I applied any form of mapping the texture went blurry.

I spent ages on different graphic card options etc and finally figured out that the texture is fine but the 1:1 uv square where the texture shows up is too small.

I changed one of the options in the uv ed from 256 to 2048 thinking it would make the square larger but it just made the texture 2048, so nowhere uv square area is showing a 256 area of my entire texture.

Any help would be awesome as I am a total noob in 3dsmax and don't know enough of the jargon to even know what to search for :)

Thanks

Replies

• ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    so what is happening here is that the max folks started limiting their texture size to something like 512 res for new nitrous viewport. You can do one of two things here... switch back to direct 3d in your preferences, (your going to have to check, fit bitmap to closest size... something like that) or use this script to up the res sizes http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/nitrous-texture-tweaker, - this should be it, someone correct me if I am wrong here. (your going to have to save your max file right after you hit the apply button, then reopen your file to get the right res to show up) hope this helps, also more information is out there if you do a simple search.
  • monkeymintaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply . I have tried to change between the direct 3d and open gl viewports with no luck. I'm still not sure if it's a viewport problem because I was getting no changes.
    I have taken a couple of screenshots to illustrate the problem..

max_01.JPG

so basically everythng is fine when the UVs are larger then the 0-1 space

max_02.JPG

but as soon as I map them to scale the texture gets wierd. The textures looks fine in the 0-1 space but isn't showing up on the box. So, now I am really confused as to what is happening.

I also tried to download the texture script but the link is broken. If anyone has an alternate download link that would be helpful to try out.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Are you sure your material doesn't have the texture tiled with a low number, like 0.01 or something?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're running direct3D: Make sure you follow step2 of this tutorial TO THE LETTER.
    http://3dsmax-indle.blogspot.com/2012/03/setup-blueprint-image-in-3ds-max.html
    Make sure after you restart that you go back into the viewport tab and click "configure driver" and set the "Background texture" and "Download Texture" settings to the highest and check on "match bitmap as closely as possible". You will need to restart one more time for it to take effect.

If you're running nitrous: Try the download link again its working. I use it all the time to speed up the viewport or improve texture quality. It works for me without having to restart max, where direct3D requires a restart.

If you have a newer video card Nvidia Geforce 550 or higher then Nitrous is probably going to run a bit faster than Direct3D. If you have an old video card, Direct3D will probably be faster.
  • monkeymintaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much McGreed! I didn't even think to look in the material...and it was set to like 0.21.

I was trying everything for the last 2 days to figure it out! Thanks again :)