Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Caterpillar 797B Mining Scene

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
LATEST UPDATE:

LukePham_WIP2.jpg

Hey guys,

Haven't posted much personal work lately and wanted to get down into business and finish something all the way through! I've been doing a lot of critiquing of other people so it's time to stop talking shit and let people rip into my work haha. Anyways without further a due, this is the result of a weekends work. Plan is to model a Caterpillar 797B Mining truck, make a mini mining scene and plug it into CryEngine 3. Modelled the low poly so far, finished off the high poly of tires and baked them down, dDo'd and nDo'd it up. First time incorporating dDo into my workflow too, it's awesome! Anyways feel free to comment, critique, or ask any questions, any feedback would be much appreciated! Next is to finish off the high poly of the truck now and unwrap the low. :)

LukePham_WIP1.jpg

LukePham_TireRender.jpg

LukePham_TireRender2.jpg

Replies

• Pookhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pookhan polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Luke, I like what you have so far. I'm looking forward to seeing this progress. Your asset shots are a bit overdone. Try losing the drop shadow and reducing the outer glow a bit so the model is clearer.

Just a suggestion, feel free to ignore :)
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Pookhan, thanks for the feedback man! :) You're right though, I might be a little too attached to the drop shadow in Photoshop hmm. I'll take your advice in and get rid of it and refine the glow.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I like the presentation, tire texture looks good so far, but I expect a lot more from your offline render. If you write mental ray on your pic, you basically say "Its offline, thats why it looks so great" but the lighting looks like a badly shaded z-brush viewport grab, there is not even proper antialiasing and the cutout is not the best either (refine edge in photoshop works amazing, try it out)

Your text is also rougly 30% too big , and id ditch the outter glow on the text, flat looks more professional, but thats maybe personal preference

For the tires, this is a insane big model right, I would consider putting atleast the middle screws in geometry and make them slightly bigger, rims are very aesthetic objects, and most of the people think of really big screws from remembering big vehicules, like a Bus and so on, and I would play with that. Yours are really tiny and flat.´Also this should be about perfectly on a players eye height.

http://rvlife.redsroads.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/IMG_6910.jpg
    this comes pretty close to the stereotype we all know from movies and shiny american trucks, look how big they are, and your tire is easily 4 times that

Edit, oh damn more crits, now where I look at it, the concavity of your rim could be a bunch stronger, it looks really flat and for the back ones, it uses double tires, and usually the outter tire has a really deep rim which connects directly to the rim of the inner one (which has a normal rim) or something like that
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Shrike for the crits! With the offline render I guess I was trying to just find a way to make a basic low poly model look good somehow haha, I'll change it around though. Anyways I'll try to address the issues you pointed out in my next update. :)
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey folks, I got another update since last week, progress has been slow unfortunately but at least I got stuff done. Finished modelling the high poly, unwrapping the low and baking it down with normals, ambient occlusion and such, man vehicles take ages! Worked on a first pass of the textures too, please keep in mind I'm still working on these so excuse any crappiness such as the windows, terrain, etc. This is where I'm up to at this point. Made a mock scene with VERY basic terrain and textures, to get a feel for the composition. I'll probably change around the camera angles though, and I'll definitely be working on the environment more. Anyways, still lots to do, comments and critiques are always welcome! :)

LukePham_WIP2.jpg
  • ofca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ofca polycounter lvl 9
    definitely need more bloom glow and dof, mixed all together...
  • Kridian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kridian polycounter lvl 14
    ofca wrote: »
    definitely need more bloom glow and dof, mixed all together...
    You need to be taken out back and put down.

Don't fall for the optical gimmicks.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Kridian wrote: »
    You need to be taken out back and put down.

Don't fall for the optical gimmicks.

He's probably joking but I think it looks good to have those even if it is unrealistic, I wouldn't add anymore bloom though.
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ofca - Hey, at least I didn't overdo it on the chromatic aberration huh? :D

@Kridian - Hahahaha, what you said makes me laugh!

@AlexCatMasterSupreme - Thanks man! I guess I just wanted to add some post processing effects, to push it a little bit further even if it strays away from reality a bit and looks a little stylized. I won't be adding any more bloom don't worry, if anything I might tone down a few effects to make it more subtle. Hopefully in the next update everything will look better. :)