Home General Discussion

Organising your assets.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
I don't think this question comes up quite often so I thought i'd bring it up.

When it comes to producing characters (or batches of characters), i'm just curious as to how people manage those hundreds of random files (multiple files for texture bakes, different raw files, readable folder structure,etc) as I seem to find these spiral out of control really easily and I was curious as to what people do to try and combat this.

Usually, I find the issues with organisation become most apparent when it comes to fixing assets where you are already far down the pipeline (e.g. changing the design of a high poly asset when you have already started texturing the low poly version).

Anybody else experience this?

Replies

• Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    its all about the folder structure aint it?
    i just use a folder per character and subfolders for bakes, texture psd´s, engine files, highpolys, low polys etc.
    works pretty fine for me.
    if you have to adjust your HP after already starting your lowpoly texture, your fucked anyways. i´d just create a completely new folder if you have to redo everything.
    when i start a new char i just set the character folder as a favorite for windows, so browsing the files doesnt become a torture.