Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Almost done with this, but a little feedback would be great!

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Stirls polycounter lvl 8
I worked on this a while back, but decided to x-post from the '13 WAYWO thread. I'm pretty happy with him so far (aside from the head/neck connection), but there are probably some glaring problems I haven't spotted yet!

4Grqn.png4Ged9.png

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there reference that you're using for this?
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Just a really really really rough sketch. It was sort of an "anything goes" project.

Spaceman_side.png
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Glaring problems:
    -looks like a clay face
    -riduculous polygon count (around 7500~10.000?) for an uninteresting low detail model.
    -all hair is textured flatly on
    -no eyelashes
    -no eyelids
    -no noseholes
    -tooth are one wibbly wobbly clump of putty
    -textures are muddy/blurry/stretched
    -jaw seems to be unhinged
    -no proper looks for wrinkles
    -near-nonexistant concept art
    -which isn't even followed (no brown patch, different chin strap, helmet, hair)

Anything goes? Nothing works. Sorry.
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Were you aiming for something cartoon when sculpting this bust? There are some big anatomical flows.

Here is what you should work on about the shapes:

- The structure of the eye. The eye without the eyeball is not just a gapping hole. There's an upper and lower lid, the relation between the brow and the upper lid, the way the lids meet, etc... It's a very complex area, that you shouldn't sculpt without references if you're not very comfortable with sculpting faces
    - The shape of the mouth. When wide open a mouth is not a square. Checks refs
    - Where's the chin?
    - The nose is HUGE! That's what really give that cartoon feeling. It's fine if you wanted it that way but it's very lumpy and lacks structure.

The technical side :

- The polygon density is way too high. I bet you could delete half the triangles and not notice any changes in the silhouette.
    - The topology is incorrect and wouldn't deform well if animated. Check the Polycount wiki to get awesome ref ===> http://wiki.polycount.com/FaceTopology?highlight=%28\bCategoryTopology\b%29

Now about the texture :

- There's no highlight in the eye, that's why it looks so lifeless. Paint the spec/gloss in pure white, that should do the trick.
    - Overall texture is very flat. What your texturing base? Only an AO? If so, consider adding a cavity map in overlay and the green channel of a normal map in world space (in overlay too).
    - The helmet texture is too noisy.

I'm gonna stop here. If you work on that you'll improve quite a lot.

Hope that helps!
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    @Snader @Popol

Thanks for the response, guys! Fortunately this one was made about a year ago, I just gave it a test with textures (never worked on a proper face texture) yesterday. Fair to say, judging from the feedback, that it wasn't exactly a success!

Because of that, I won't continue with the model. Gotta say though, a dose of reality is great sometimes. This information is incredibly useful for any future endeavours, however, as it acts as a sort of guideline to follow in case I fall into any ruts!

Thanks again!
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    I developed a sculpt with your crits in mind: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126508

I like it a lot more, a proportionate nose, eyelids, proper mouth (and refs!). No eye-lashes yet, I'm afraid!