Home Technical Talk

Smoothing out topology in specific areas?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Stirls polycounter lvl 8
So recently I've been trying my hand at making a low-poly (~6,000 tris) C17 Globemaster. So far it's gone pretty well with only one problem which I failed to see in the first place: The nose is looking rather jagged.

If I try to tessellate, the windows of the plane end up being very round, almost like the plane has no hard edges at all. Some sections (the stabilizer and wing areas) round off on the corners and sort of disconnect from the model.

There are certain parts which look great when there's a bit of smoothing going on, and I'd like to apply that, but I don't know of ways to control where I can smooth and where I cannot.

The edges are a huge problem, and they definitely detract from the final image. Generally this wouldn't be a problem, but if I add extra edge-loops, I'm going to have to go back in and re-map the surfaces.

4Cgw5.jpg4Cgvd.jpg

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Show your wireframe, shaded wire is best so backfacing wires don't get in the way. There might be areas you can simplify to keep it under budget and still add more detail on the curved parts.

What 3d software are you using?

Also we have some topo examples on our wiki that might help, I'll dig it up.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here, some examples of ways to make curves but save topo...http://wiki.polycount.com/SphereTopology
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the reply, Eric. I'm using Maya at the moment. I'll be sure to check out that link you posted me, too.

Actually, while we're at it, do you have any pointers towards cleaning those unwanted triangles up? This is the only part where it gets messy, and I can

't see any other workaround aside from retopology or re-building the nose area. Either way might work hand-in-hand with the whole "jagged edge" issue.

4Ci6J.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let's see the whole model in wireframe. Often I see people devoting a lot of detail to areas that are fairly small and unnoticeable, relative to the larger more-noticeable features.

There's a feature in Max, not sure about Maya, that lets you "regularize" an edge loop into an ngon shape where all the sides are the same length. Like, "make this irregular 8-sided shape into a perfect octogon". Might help to straighten out some of those loops.

Also, triangles aren't a bad thing. To the game engine, a model is always all triangles. We just use quads in modeling because it makes it easier to select loops and rings, and edit the flow. But in the end, it's all triangles.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Here you go. I'll look at regularize in Max, that might be very useful. Eh, it's not so much the triangles I'm worried about, but the irregularities caused by the way that the faces are positioned.

Heh. Triangles all the way down.

4CGZh.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A couple ideas to try out. Green = retopo, red = remove these.
    xAnjdks.jpg

Take a closer look at the engines and wheels, what details are too small and tight, compared to everything else? Keep an eye out for any edges that don't add significantly to the silhouette or curvature... strip those out. Also, don't need squared-off back edges on all the ailerons, those can be a single edge each.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, thanks! I'll be sure to sort this stuff out ASAP. So you're saying there needs to be a balance in my model when it comes to detail? I like that.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just thought Id toss in my 2 cents...

along the lines of what Eric said, make sure you compare your stuff to actual in-game assets, perception is a tricky thing and in the chaos of a game level, you may not notice a lot of things that seem to stand out when viewed in isolation.

also, depending on the engine and budget your shooting for, DX11 tessellation could help out a lot. It's kinda like mip-mapping for geo.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah bro, I've dragged this into UDK to test out how it works. Looks good aside from the nose, which has some gaping normal issues. I'm gonna have to fix that.

I'll have to look at DX11 tessellation, because it seems like the easiest option at this stage.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Couldn't you just add a few loops in the nose to help round it out?

In max I would activate swift loop, hold shift and add a few loops to the nose, like this:
    Shift-Swift-Loop.gif
    It will approximate the distance and set the new loop to compliment the surrounding loops. I would be very surprised if Maya didn't have a feature like that?

You could also create a piece of geometry that is the shape you want then use conform to warp one to the other.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    flowconnect and set flow are also your friends on those cases
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    @Mark Dygert: Maya does have the edge-loop option, but as I stated above, I'm worried that it will mess up the UV's. However, I will add more edge-loops and see how it goes.

@Neox: Flowconnect is very much similar to NEX in Maya 2010-2013, and fortunately 2014 has integration (which allows for connecting multiple edges much like you could in Max).

Thank you for your replies!

EDIT: I added a few more loops, and it didn't screw up the UV! I guess you don't know until you try ;) Thanks for all the help, guys.

4EtkF.jpg