Home Technical Talk

Softimage select UV seams issues

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
TdHpJeA.png

I'm trying to select uv edges on my lowpoly model, but the option in the uv editor for selecting contour edges does not work on those types of models. It seems to work fine if you have an extra edge loop between seams, but otherwise it just selects everything. These models basically have the same uv map, the other one just has its polycount reduced. Is there any way to fix or work around this besides manually selecting edges.

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    It does that when you have triangles near the seams, or very very few verts. Basically contour selects everything, shrinks the selection once, and then inverts the selection for the result. So if there's not enough vertices to support that one shrink selection command then it will unselect everything, which will leave you with everything selected once it is inverted.

After a while you begin to know in advance which edges will cause problems, which makes it quick work to switch back to wireframe view and deselect them.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    That is annoying, I'm working on a project that I'll have to spend 20 minutes making sure all of the correct edges are hardened. I'm surprised no one has come up with a script or something that avoids these issues.