Home General Discussion

SVN/GIT hosting or alternatives?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
MikeF polycounter lvl 19
Hey everyone, i'm starting to take on full productions with my company and the need for version control is becoming a big issue, so i wanted to see if anyone had some recommendations for an svn or git host (or any other kind of version control system) that has worked well for you. big things i'd need:

-hassle free setup/maintenance (i dont want to spend much time if any dealing with the technical side of this since its going to cost me production time)
-minimum 10gb hosting space
-2 users minimum
-relatively inexpensive, but if its gonna cost big $$ then i'll just need to deal with it

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Bitbucket

- Unlimited private projects
    - up to 5 users free
    - unlimited space (though again this was mainly code)
    - Supports git and mercurial
    - Free :D
    - Can install TortoiseHG for GUI and rightclick fun (or do the commands in cmd) Wow been a while since i went on the site again but they have their own visual app so guess thats one less thing to worry about.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    wow thats a friggin facepalm rite there. I already use bitbucket with another one of my clients hahahah.
    thanks man, i knew i should have had that coffee before posting
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    if it is a public project github is great too be requires some $$ for private repos, than i would go bitbucket like the previews poster said
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    dreamhost has a oneclick svn solution, unlimited users and space for your repos.

my experience with git was the pure horror, the need to be in sync with every file on the server makes it super nasty for art productions, right now we are roughly at 50% of a production and already easily passed the 100GB, if everyone had to sync this stuff entirely, people would go crazy.

though if anyone knows faster solutions than svn that would be great to know. svn doesn't seem to use the server speed at all.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    You can run SVN on webfaction - they're more dev friendly than Dreamhost, although they may not have 1 click installers. They also have Redmine and other useful development tools there. I moved there from Dreamhost because it was just a hassle to host my Python projects.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    do you have any info about uploadspeeds? often times we only have like a couple 100kb/s which is bad considering we should have 10 times that and filessizes of 1gig and more dependent on the asset complexity. i can max out our upload speed by using ftp. but sadly this is not really an option for a team, especially not with dreamhost only supporting one user per ftp directory.