Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fairy Forest in Cryengine (critiques please!)

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Zieg_Reborn triangle
Hey guys.

In my final semester of school and just finished my first environment in Cryengine. I was aiming for more of a semi-realistic Fairy Forest, with a sizable dose of fantasy. I'll post a quick ~2 min vid of it, that I'll be using in case I get job offers until my second environment is complete and I can put out a full demo reel.

The second environment I am working on is Edoras from Lord of the Rings. I am completely rebuilding Meduseld (the Hall where Theodin rules from) inside and out, and then the entire town itself and the surrounding area (mountains, plains, etc.). I'll be building the town itself outside the main hall modularly to maximize efficiency, and the estimated completion time for it is in December, at which time I'll be able to use both of these environments for my reel.

I know the environment is lacking breakdowns, but there was just too much content to fit into my time budget. I'll be posting much more breakdown content on my website once it's up. There'll be a couple breakdowns below as well as some screencaps of the environment for the lazy ones who don't want to watch the vid.

Enjoy! :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcSc2crkURw"]Fairy Forest Game Environment in Cryengine - YouTube[/ame]

Portfolio: www.scottmctavish.com

Replies

• Zieg_Reborn
  • Rokugan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rokugan polycounter lvl 7
    Well, what can I say? I would pay gold nuggets to play in such beautiful environment! It's really amazing! I wish I could help with some critiques but I just love it. Cheers ^^
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    Incredible work, I'd love to run around in that environment.
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turret polycounter lvl 11
    Those crystals look great. I am guessing the majority of the heavy lifting for that effect is done by the shader and there isn't anything too special with the texture maps themselves?
  • Zieg_Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zieg_Reborn triangle
    Yeah, the crystals are almost entirely shader based, took a good, solid day to get the thing ironed out to looking good enough to me.

For more info, I basically used layered geo so I could get two shaders, the top layer was a glass shader tweaked pretty heavily, while the bottom layer was masked clear with an animated and illuminated decal, depending on the crystal type.
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome environ for sure. Especially that area with the large tree. I would be happy to run through there.
  • Leb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leb polycounter lvl 6
    Very inspiring work dude. Love it :)
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baron Flame polycounter lvl 12
    Absolutely stunning. I especially love the shot of the cave behind the waterfall, brilliant stuff. However if there was one thing I would like to be added to this, it would be more bioluminescence. The ethereal glow is there but at times it looks more of a swamp than a fairy forest.
    Just saying. Hope this helps :)
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
    Nice :)

Looks really cool!

There's some stuff that you could do fairly quickly that I think would really help though.

-Screw around with the dof and the focal length depending on the shot, so that you get a really nice cinematic feel to the environment. Points added for tweaking it in real-time for the video.

-Some of the camera movements are a little jerky and go back and forth, when they seem like they should just fade into different shots (specifically the cave one).

-The overall color values are very very green. Almost monochromatically so. I'd color grade the image so that your shadows have some blue in them, and your light is more yellow / orangey.

-Find a better way of exporting your video. The quality on it is pretty rough when the camera is moving, even at 1080 p. You added all that detail, so find a way to show it at it's best :)
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I am impressed. Keep up the detail!
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    wow looks beautiful, those crystals look amazing, love the material
  • Zieg_Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zieg_Reborn triangle
    Thanks for the feedback :D

I didn't want to do too much with the camera moves, in fact I absolutely abhore doing camera animation. I'm just the art guy! But it's always good to improve in all areas, so I will take your suggestions to heart, lincoln.

Also good tip on the colour values, I was trying to find different ways of breaking up the overpowering green of the environment, so I had to rely on tricky lighting and looking back I feel I should have added a few other colourful vegetation pieces to break up the green feeling.

Learned to much from this first environment, can't wait to apply what I've learned to my next piece... excited. :D
  • SirSpangles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirSpangles polycounter lvl 4
    You have a really nice scene going on, Really nice texture work and I love your crystals, Id like to see if I can carry a similar effect over in UDK that would be a fun project.

Critiques:

I agree with the above it has a very green wash over everything, making the shodows a nice dark blue tint will add a lot.

I see in your maps display with the foliage that your specularity values are a mono tone grey color. I went to the walk through to double check but your spec maps on the moss rock and most all of your foliage needs some clear cut black and white values to really boost the humidity and general moist air that you have going. Inside the cave itself is very nice where the Trichetra is, you just need to carry that over to the appropriate foliage.

rainforest1.jpg

rainforest_desktop_1920x1080_hd-wallpaper-531543.jpg
  • Zieg_Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zieg_Reborn triangle
    I never even thought to add some pure whites or blacks to get punch up the spec contrasts, I always thought 0's and 255's were a no no.

I'll definately have to give it a try with the next vegetation I make, thanks a bunch Spangles! :D
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I guess it sounds like you're done with this piece then.. That's a shame, cause I seriously think it would push this thing to the next level if you made those tweaks i suggested :) Even if you don't make those changes, seriously check out camera post-effects / color grading. Good work becomes great work if they're used properly. Good job!

ps. Your video really reminds me of this one. Take it to the next level!!!!!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4No43o7zkDQ&feature=related"]Forest animation HD Cryengine real-time Bokeh dof - YouTube[/ame]
    Thanks for the feedback :D

I didn't want to do too much with the camera moves, in fact I absolutely abhore doing camera animation. I'm just the art guy! But it's always good to improve in all areas, so I will take your suggestions to heart, lincoln.

Also good tip on the colour values, I was trying to find different ways of breaking up the overpowering green of the environment, so I had to rely on tricky lighting and looking back I feel I should have added a few other colourful vegetation pieces to break up the green feeling.

Learned to much from this first environment, can't wait to apply what I've learned to my next piece... excited. :D
  • Zieg_Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zieg_Reborn triangle
    I'll take your critiques to heart on my next projects, but I can't linger on this one or I will never get my reel done, and I need to get into the industry. :P
  • Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    nice!
    Agree with lincolnhughes on the camera movements, some are a little jerky.

Also some of the ground areas seem a bit flat, mostly in this image:
    SC1_1_PC.jpg
    You have vines over the rocks, might be nice for them of them to trail across the path to. Lead your eye into the glowy rocks some more
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    Nicely executed. hmmm? I guess I can only say u just need a good color correction pass on the video- that's about it for me. Loved the crystals :)
  • dwgagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwgagner polycounter lvl 7
    It looks great and I can tell you spent a lot of time on it. The main thing I think you should work on in your next environment is reducing the poly limit you use for assets, particularly assets that are duplicated all over the place. For instance your plants are really high poly, at least the one you've shown so far. And the crystals I feel could also be lower poly. Normal maps can achieve a lot, let them do a lot of the work for you. Or if you really want to get technical there's always displacement maps. Just keep in mind that every polygon that has to be rendered would impact gameplay. Basically, you only need as many polygons as it takes to achieve the silhouette of the object.
  • netghost03
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Impressive. The crystals are awesome!
  • Zieg_Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zieg_Reborn triangle
    dwgagner wrote: »
    It looks great and I can tell you spent a lot of time on it. The main thing I think you should work on in your next environment is reducing the poly limit you use for assets, particularly assets that are duplicated all over the place. For instance your plants are really high poly, at least the one you've shown so far. And the crystals I feel could also be lower poly. Normal maps can achieve a lot, let them do a lot of the work for you. Or if you really want to get technical there's always displacement maps. Just keep in mind that every polygon that has to be rendered would impact gameplay. Basically, you only need as many polygons as it takes to achieve the silhouette of the object.

Yeah I remember first making most of the assets - particularly the vegetation - and after a few months of pumping out stuff I have really learned much more about optimization. I'm just thankful that I don't need to LOD anything for actual game use... yet. :D

Question for those of you working in a studio right now; for an out-of-school environment, would this be considered hire-worthy or do I still have a long way to go? (I know I have no hard surface or architectural work in it, but if it was paired with an equal-quality piece that showed off those skills)
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    Gorgeous work!
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll take your critiques to heart on my next projects, but I can't linger on this one or I will never get my reel done, and I need to get into the industry. :P

If you make those changes to this piece, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find a job in the industry fairly easily :) Remember that it isn't the amount of content that you have, just the overall quality of everything that you show.
  • Zieg_Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zieg_Reborn triangle
    Thanks Lincoln, I'll try to raise my quality bar even higher in my next piece. :)
  • Demokk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demokk polycounter lvl 3
    Very nice job Scott! I'm definitely looking forward to your LOTR scene!
  • Zieg_Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zieg_Reborn triangle
    Got some WIPs of the great hall up on my site (linked in original post), but I'm not giving away teasers for the outside until I feel it's up to par for viewing (even the blockout)