Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fantasy Tavern Take 2

iniside
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
iniside polycounter lvl 6
Ok, this is my second attempt on fantasy tavern. Looking for some crits for improvments.

ScreenShot00001.png

ScreenShot00002.png

ScreenShot00003.png

ScreenShot00004.png

Replies

• Rokugan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rokugan polycounter lvl 7
    I think that it's a bit too dark to really understand what is going on. The first thing i can tell you tho, is that these blue lights are really killing the mood and the scene.On the corner of the fireplace you can clearly spot a seam and the bricks looks rather flat.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some nice textures but I agree the blue light needs to go and the lighting needs to be re worked. The fire place should really be the focal point of the environment with a nice glow coming from it, lighting more of the room than it does now.

My other main crit is that I can't really see an actual bar for serving drinks etc.
  • blinKX10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blinKX10 polycounter lvl 7
    Pretty much same crits as everyone else. Lanterns like those wouldn't have bright blue light coming from them.

But one thing with the floor, it looks funny when you have different sections facing different ways, make sure all the boards face the same way on the texture.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I changed lighting a bit:
    ScreenShot00005.png

ScreenShot00006.png

ScreenShot00007.png

ScreenShot00008.png
    My other main crit is that I can't really see an actual bar for serving drinks etc.
    There is bar. It is just small, and hard to spot on previous shots.

Oh dat head. I have to change for something well, better.
    Pretty much same crits as everyone else. Lanterns like those wouldn't have bright blue light coming from them.
    Shhh, there were magical lanterns! /sarcasm off.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep in mind that chandeliers using candles were not fixed to the ceiling. There would generally be a hook in the ceiling through which the rope/chain holding the chandelier would pass. The other end of the rope would then be tied off at a convenient height, allowing the chandelier to be raised/lowered to light/extinguish/replace the candles.

Benches were more common than stools in pubs until fairly recently.
  • Rokugan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rokugan polycounter lvl 7
  • Chimi Jimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimi Jimi polygon
    hey dude,

overall nice work as others have said the amount of bloom in your scene is waahaaay to much id bring it down and maybe light up the scene just abit more so you can show off the assets and other pieces of the environment rather then hide them as they are now, specially with the amount of lights that are lit in the scene that place would be really lit up.

also needs moar weapons :poly124:
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are the shots without fireplace shown are to dark ?
    I know that the ones that foxus more on close or bright light source are to dark, because of how Eye Adaptation works, but I dunno how to really change it without destroying rest of the scene(I tried and it's either to bright or to dark depends on where you look).
  • KMNettelbladt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMNettelbladt polycounter lvl 8
    The atmosphere is getting better, all critique I can give, that haven't already been given is that, that place would burn down in an instant. You would never have torches and candles placed like that back in the days. And fantasy is not an excuse! :P
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    I definitely agree with the less bloom remarks.

It's also incredibly dark, I seriously can't see anything in there.

At the moment your luminosity is all down in the low end:
    gYklRL7.jpg
    Here's a quick levels adjustment I made in photoshop:
    zhoiFTq.jpg
    and it's corresponding histogram:
    4Ti2Ao6.jpg

I might have overbrightened it a little bit for the atmosphere you want to convey, but hopefully that gets the idea across :)
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice adjustments @mystichobo .

I think what mystichobo has posted above is what you should aim for though maybe not just as bright and this will be well on the way to being something really awesome!
  • Anya Starr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice job overall. I agree that the bloom is craaaazy high though. It actually ends up fogging out your scene and making it more difficult to see the work you obviously did. Also, the one thing that caught my eye are these seams in the wood. I know you have some woodboards going one way and another chunk going another way-that's purely your decision. But what I see are the seams in boards that are meant to be the 'same' board. These little distractions cut through your floors and unfortunately, are distracting and take away from the realism of the place.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    What u have in both the early (cold vs warm) and the current versions is vague lighting. U want to create a clear, logical separation between the lit areas that would seem descriptive and feel inviting. Ask urself, if u just came into this tavern, where would u sit? hard to tell, right? it's cuz the lighting is indistinct.

Distinction should apply to what's relevant - which r the tables (and bar, if u have any). Each table should have a nice globe of light revealing it, but not bleeding to anything else. Ambient light should be subtle as to not overwhelm the tables'. U should create descriptive 'alcoves' of light for each sitting place.

I like the cool light in the earlier version. U can use windows to bring in cool light, strategically placing a shape of moonlight in ur scene (+air particles for classic effect). If u wish to keep a cool ambient light-source internal, keep it subtle and on the periphery, perhaps even in another room.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update
    ScreenShot00012.png

I change Ligting a bit, a remade some assets and textures.
  • Anya Starr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love this. I mean I really do. I think the bloom is still too high-just me personally, but when you can see 'auras' around lights, it means that there is heavy condensation in the air usually...which I don't think is the case here??
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    I think it needs more particulates in the air, from smoke of the fire and general dust. It would help sell the amount of bloom in the lights and give that heavy dingy pub atmosphere.