hello

i have a problem with my screen
i think it has to do with callebration, gamma, or cheap screen
the screen is a DELL

here you see 3 times the same model
1 is in 3ds max on my widescreen
2 is a screenshot on my widescreen
3 is a screenshot on my second screen

also i noticed i have the exact same difference between firefox/chrome, and internet explorer as i have between my screens

why doesnt this all look the same?

q8os.jpg

Replies

• marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Using screenshots to compare monitor color calibration ... :poly141:
  • hannes d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hannes d polycounter lvl 12
    thats the weird thing
    if it all would look the same on this screenshot i would understand
    then it would be a difference between the screens ( which there defenitly is)
    but 1 and 2 are next each other, 1 is max the other is an image of the screen
    it should display the exact same thing
    gamma correction in max is turned of, and cant seem to find it in my graphics card menu
    (this is a new computer)

also found out that i can make max and firefox look the same by disablings firefox color profile thingy
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gfx.color_management.mode
    with this line
    gfx.color_management.mode;0

but since default it is turned on I assume everyone in the world will see it like that
    >> so what should i do
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Color calibration is quite a complicated subject, and on top of that, some (many!) programs handle it badly...

The only thing I can say for sure is that Firefox is the absolute best browser when it comes to applying correct color profiles to images. Even though Chrome is said to be color correct, it is not as accurate as FF.

Besides that, some programs just don't even do color correction at all... If I remember correctly, the windows image viewer is pretty good at it, but on the other hand, the windows desktop itself is not corrected. That kind of stuff.

So from what I see on your images, it seems like your widescreen monitor has been calibrated in order for it to display better color rendering than its default settings ; therefore the Windows image viewer is applying this slightly warm curve. But the Max viewport and your secondary screen are just displaying un-corrected colors.

(I might be totally wrong on all this tho - I am no expert, and actually kindof gave up on high-end screens requiring color calibration as it ends up being too much of a headache for me ...)