Home Technical Talk

max normals: single smoothing group 90 corner tube issue

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
right its been awhile since i did some serious normal work BUT
was experimenting with baked normals for linear things like railings, sideboards etc

the issue is with soft edged models at corners where the smoothing group is broken

EG if you want a tiling skirting board normal map you break the edge normals at the corners and everythings great yeah? or im sure it was when i was using maya last...

EDIT- proof
room2.jpg

trying it in max im getting weird normals not what i would expect in the LOW poly mesh (nothing to do with the bake)

so i did some experiments with max and found the low poly normals doing things i wasnt expecting (correect or not finding it difficult to make it what i want)

bums.jpg

iamge above is demonstrates the issue:
red l shape is the normals created by max, pink is what i would expect to happen

i created the red by cutting two tubes at 45 degrees and merging the verts and setting two smoothing groups

i created the pink l shape by making two tubes (like right image) using an edit normal to make the normal's explicit and then editing the verts into position and merging

the pink has way better normal's (IMO and for what i'm aiming to do) you can see in the side shot that the max generated normal's are twisted away from the inside corner, which when baked with nice detailed causes all sorts of weirdness. the pink shape all the normal's are at 45 degrees (what i would expect)

the only way I've figured to fix this automatically is to export to a third party and set the normal's in that and re import...which seems to work more in line with what i expect... is there away to do this in max? do other packages do the same thing... am i going slightly mental?

pointing me in the direction of old threads and info would be much appreciated thank you

Replies