Home General Discussion

Ubisoft's - Child of Light

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
serriffe polycounter lvl 9
It's amazing what people can come up with these days artistically in games. Ubisoft- loved what you are guys are doing- keep it up :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVfyPk34wQ8"]Child of Light Announcement Trailer Beware of the Night [IT] - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Can't really say I like the style, but something different is always nice.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    ah this seems to be using the engine they used for rayman legends
    the aquarelle style looks interesting. not the biggest fan of the enemies they showed
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I`m just really pumped Ubi is letting them do this... I would not have expected it, so I say 2 thumbs up just for that :)
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    The art style is great, but that combat thing looks... out of place.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    this looks awesome!! Great art style! and holy hell... a female lead that doesnt look like a ho? whhhhaaaat!!!! Game changing!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Ubisoft!! Killing it!! Bringing Art back into games!
  • newfound dufus
    The art looks nice and different. Just don't really like the enemies, from what I've seen. They look cheesy.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Looks awesome to me, I was a little sad when I saw the combat...
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Will be picking this up for the art alone, and who knows, it may bring me around to JRPG's, a genre I've almost universally detested. I just love the direction Ubisoft is going in right now, some talented SOB's over there.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    The art style feels a little too... literal? I love the illustrated/children's book look, but it's too 2D in my opinion. I would love to see that idea translated to 3D.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I know a couple guys working on it here at the studio. its fuuuucking gorgeous. ign did a good writeup on it.
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    PixelMasher- that's awesome man, would love to see the behind the scene stuff someday when the game is out :)

seems like not a lot folks liked the combat system- I think this is the first time I heard officially a game company from the west that would go with JRPG look and gameplay. I think it's a good risk but then again, I'm a Squaresoft fan - so I'm a bit bias :D
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    ...the art style hit a nostalgic nerve with me....its the same as the illustrations in the first copy of the hobbit that I read as a kid, beautiful stuff. If I can get around my dislike of the JRPG combat style then I will give it a go
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just stumbled on this today, it looks gorgeous! I think I'm in the 'unsure about the combat' camp, but still, it's like like a lovechild of Where The Wild Things Are/Little Nemo/Zelda!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Opgll8bLE"]Accolades Trailer - Child of Light - YouTube[/ame]

ps can we make a little nemo game now?
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Looks incredible ! :o
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    My girlfriend has been playing this a lot. Looks great, I like the atmosphere, but the combat is so standard and unappealing to me. She doesn't mind as she hasn't played that many games, but it bores me a bit too much.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Did that just say "Child Touch yourself in bed.........." :poly122:
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I started this game but haven't finished it yet. The story was interesting and every single part of the game feels like I'm looking at a unique painting. My only complaint is that the gameplay was too easy. If you've ever played a JRPG like Final Fantasy for example, then you can fly through the entire game without dying at all it seems. I don't mind it though, and I do plan to finish it at some point!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I played it start to finish. It's not a good game.

It opens up fairly well, and some of the visuals are genuinely awesome - but the story rapidly trails off within the first half an hour or so, then drags on for another ten-twelve hours. The combat is boring, the character skill trees feel like a waste of time, and whilst there are hundreds of items to collect scattered through the levels, they're all completely useless (as is the crafting system) - you'll never actually need or use them. There are side quests, but they are a complete waste of time. It then ends pretty abruptly.

I was also really annoyed that two characters are rendered in 3d when the entire rest of the game isn't. That bothered me a lot after a little while.

All in all, it's an ok game, but I don't think I could recommend it.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    I played it start to finish. It's not a good game.

It opens up fairly well, and some of the visuals are genuinely awesome - but the story rapidly trails off within the first half an hour or so, then drags on for another ten-twelve hours. The combat is boring, the character skill trees feel like a waste of time, and whilst there are hundreds of items to collect scattered through the levels, they're all completely useless (as is the crafting system) - you'll never actually need or use them. There are side quests, but they are a complete waste of time. It then ends pretty abruptly.

I was also really annoyed that two characters are rendered in 3d when the entire rest of the game isn't. That bothered me a lot after a little while.

All in all, it's an ok game, but I don't think I could recommend it.
    I totally agree with all this. I wanted to love it, but I couldn't stand so many different parts of it. Didn't like the combat. The world was nice but the writing killed it for me. I felt like they shouldn't have done the rhyming. It felt so forced. I remember at the end they were totally butchering the pronunciation of words just to make them rhyme. It felt so sloppy.
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    I think the game was built with kids in mind. They didn't do complex combat and detailed craft system, because kids cant comprehend it. The story is supposed to be simple also for kids to understand.

If you want adult stuff, there are things specifically designed to pleasure us, like Game of Thrones :P
    I totally agree with all this. I wanted to love it, but I couldn't stand so many different parts of it. Didn't like the combat. The world was nice but the writing killed it for me. I felt like they shouldn't have done the rhyming. It felt so forced. I remember at the end they were totally butchering the pronunciation of words just to make them rhyme. It felt so sloppy.
    Interestingly enough, Russian localization feels really good. Rhyme was clean and felt exactly like if it was from a book for children.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Whether it's intended for children or not is irrelevant - it simply isn't a good game. Combat doesn't need to be complicated, nor does crafing. Instead, combat was repetitive and boring, and the crafting system was useless.
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To a certain degree I agree with you, the combat could be better and craft could be more thought out. But still the game is lovely, I definitely enjoyed it. And if I had a kid I would absolutely give him or her it to play. Most of stuff produced for kids is ugly and overly simplistic, now there is something beautiful both kids and adult can appreciate.
  • Nox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    Meet me there :>
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    unit187 wrote: »
    I think the game was built with kids in mind. They didn't do complex combat and detailed craft system, because kids cant comprehend it. The story is supposed to be simple also for kids to understand.

To me thats such nonsense, games have been dumbed down since years, it's not that kids couldn't learn how to master a game and feel rewarded for it. It's gamedevs thinking their players are dumb and everything needs to be chewed for them until there is no achievement in playing games anymore.
    When i was a kid in games we had 3 lives, no continues if you died 3 times that was it, you had to start over. Damn what a feeling beating Alex Kidd for the first time on the Sega Master System.
    That game had how many levels? Maybe 5 i can't remember, we played for weeks, once one died the controller was passed to the next kid. Such great fun and so rewarding.
    I don't even mind continues, or savegames, or checkpoints i think those are great additions, but the trend of making games easier and easier for everyone to understand is horrible, dying through a game until you are done is no fun challenge. At all.
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I prefer to call it nostalgia. I too enjoyed hardcore games when I was younger. For example, vanilla World of Warcraft was very demanding and quite hardcore compared to modern MMOs (even WoW itself). I definitely enjoyed it at that time, but no way I would enjoy the game today.

Griding for fire resistance potion for hours in a single spot? Riding around the map gathering herbs for hour upon hour? Raiding 6 hours every single day? That was fun back then, but not anymore.

Some people call modern games "dumbed down", but I prefer to play fun game instead of wasteing time farming virtual things or instead of dying in a game all the time and starting over because no lives left. I would find it extremely frustrating.

IMO, of course.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    grinding for ressources is also something i would call dumbed down, its a repetetive task thats no fun but simple. I think we can agree on games should be fun not work, but i think without a challenge its mindless timewaste.
    There are tons of things in Alex Kidd which from todays standards are horrible, controls at first place, no question about that - Super Meatboy was a great example of this nostalgia brought to modern controls. It's challenging, could work with any artstyle and is great fun, no stupid grinding, no hours of running around for nothing. Lots of replay value, very tight controls and every level is its own challenge, awesome game which also kids could play.

Despite maybe the blood, which could also just be marinara sauce.

I think there is nothing wrong with streamlining tasks in games, but i think it's bad to remove the challenge from gaming, and many modern games suffer from this.
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indeed, there definitely should be a challenge, but again: it must be in moderation.

Too much of a challange and it is frustrating. Lile Diablo 3 Hell difficulty (before patches at least). It was nearly impossible to play. I want to have a good time, and dying all the time trying to kill 1 stupid pack of elite monsters is not even close to my definition of fun.

And if it is too easy and streamlined - it is boring. For example, in Civ5 even with hard bots late game is absolutely boring. Finishing even multiple enemies becomes no-brainer if you survive long enough. I've played dozens of matches, but probably finished only 1 or 2, because it gets old very fast.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Totally agree Neox. (+1 for Alex Kidd) Those games might not have the same oomph to them as games these days, but starting over on the first level was a different thing that it is now. Gotta grind the intro, tutorials, get the first upgrade so you can do THAT tutorial and then unlock some other core player skill after some dialogue... A pretty good indicator for the rest of the game. Back then, you'd get better at the game, and set goals for yourself (get past level 3 without dying or whatever). I totally understand the grindy feel to this though.

Side note, I'd like to see a game that works in reverse. Start out maxed and force the player to remove one level/upgrade as they progress.

Since we're nostalgia'ing a little here, Kid Chameleon was cool as hell with the level pathing, and I haven't listened to Unit 187 in forever.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I'm all for making games more challenging (but keeping them fair) but I'm not sure how that would work at all with JRPGs or games that attempt to keep their gameplay in that style like Child of Light.

The grindy nature of these games makes it so that the only real challenge comes in encountering an enemy with higher stats than you. If you were to grind all day and level up every character for example, you could breeze through the game without any issues.

Not every JRPG is like this, but a great majority of them are. Most of the modern JRPGs that attempt to stray away from this formula end up failing or only appealing to a very small crowd of people (The Last Remnant for example.)

Also, I'd imagine making games easier for kids has to do with the fact that in modern times, it is incredibly cheap to build up a large collection of games. Free to play is a huge thing now and there are a ton of large sales on every platform. If you wait long enough, you can get like 5-6 large games for just $60 a year (PC has Steam sales, console users get seasonal sales in addition to freebies for having premium membership.)

As a result of having a larger collection of games compared to the past, I'd imagine it is quite likely that if a kid can't progress through a game because it is too difficult, they will just toss the game aside and load up something else.

I don't like the fact that this is happening, but I suppose not much can be done other than expecting developers to ship a game with a variety of difficulties that allow players to pick their own experience. I love Shin Megami Tensei games in this regard because the easiest setting can allow you to breeze through the game and just enjoy the story/art/etc. which can be compared to the hardest difficulty which will provide you with a traditional challenge in which grinding XP/Items will only get you so far (you'll actually need to use strategy to survive, even if you encounter an enemy that is half your level.)
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, I don't feel like Child of Light was intended for kids at all. Its a fairy tale, sure, but not all fairy tales are made for kids.

If I had a kid, I certainly wouldn't give them Child of Light. Although its a different genre, I can't help but think of The Puppeteer when I think about Child of Light. it seemed to nail so much of what Child of Light was trying to do in terms of atmosphere and charm, but only much better.