Home Technical Talk

Steampunk Gun, Slight Issue.

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
RashedAlmetrami polycounter lvl 10
Hi guys, working on a Steampunk gun for my University's weekly modelling challenge.

I am trying to create circular insets on this bent shape.
4kEhW.jpg

However i get these horrible pinches eitherway I try to model the cylinders in.

4kEb3.jpg
4kElp.png

As you can see I have tried two different methods, but both result in pinching.

Any ideas Polycount community?

Replies

• Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Modeling insets into a curved surface is a classic modeling conundrum.

My preferred solution is to model the insets on a flat plane and then use a bend modifier to curve the shape.

rIr2Dn2.png

However if you you do that to a lowpoly and then subdivide it you will still end up with pinching, not as bad as your example, but still pretty noticable.

6ejlZM9.png

To deal with that you should subdivide the mesh before you bend it, that will result in a completely clean surface.

ALuBydh.png
    PMGhrpv.png
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    The problem with the solution above is that if you want to edit the model later on its going to be really difficult. We are having a discussion about this in the modeling shapes thread. Basically read what Perna has posted on the last 4-5 pages. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56014&page=133
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is true, but that is one of the drawbacks of highpoly modeling. Subd modeling has the great advantage of being fast and very easy to adjust, but it simply doesn't handle certain shapes that well. This being one such case. I agree with Perna that adding more geometry simply because of "add more geo" is not a good way of approaching stuff, but in this case it is necessary in order to have an even surface. What he is saying isn't strictly "use as little geo as possible" as much as "don't use more geo than you need".
    Besides, this is two subdivision levels, which is the same that subd preview usually operates in. So think of it as doing the final step a few steps earlier. You really aren't generating any unnecessary geometry.

That being said, that thread is great and I highly recommend that you take a look at it RashedAlmetrami. I've learned a lot from it.
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looked through many of Perna's posts. Nothing really stood out that showed me how i could resolve my pinching problem.

Any post in particular that I should look at?
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried Fingus's way, Creates a nice result. however I cannot get a smooth cap on each side of the object that Way. Will try adding in more base geometry and redoing it in the mean-time.
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply perna!

Will give your method a try.. I do tend to move vertices around a lot. By you intersected cylinders, do you mean you cut the shapes out using boolean?
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well dang, I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that our Perna.

However, I did not do any manual tweaking of my model. That example was purely an 8 sided cylinder with its cap deleted and extruded out into a square, and then duplicated in an array, merged, and bent. Like you said, mathematically pure.

The difference seems to come from the topology. In my example the edges merge in poles, but you have a configuration where the supporting geo is equidistantly quadded which keeps the edge weight even and prevents pinching.

Mine on the left, yours on the right.
    cPBid2X.png

If I use my previous technique with the bend modifier on your topology the results turn out perfectly clean. I'm not sure how easy the intersecting cylinder workflow is in Max, but in Maya it's kind of a pain so I'd say this approach is a good hybrid.

3pxhJFN.jpg
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, boolean and avoiding the move tool worked well :)

Added more to the gun now, still more needs to be added but this is what I have so far!
    What do you think?

4lJGR.jpg

4lJHT.png
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished up the high-poly Gun!

What do you think?

yXdFvW1.jpg
  • k@rt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k@rt polycounter lvl 6
    Finished up the high-poly Gun!

What do you think?

I think it looks great, really fun! I would be interested to know the tri count of your low poly 'cause with all those tiny tubes I would still think it would be pretty high! There does seem to be a small issue at the top left of the clock counter - maybe it was intentional but it looks a little strange.

Great work!
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks K@rt, yeh I have some extra detail at the back which caused that pinching there, gonna try fix it before the bake. Will post up the low-poly when its done!