Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Bakery

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
kmactastic polycounter lvl 8
Hello, Here is an environment I did in UDK. I am looking for feedback. It is my first environment that is complete (as in you can walk around in it). I had some scale issues, because I didn't realize the different UDK game modes have different camera heights O_O... The environment is around 40k. I am wondering if this might be too low poly. I didn't really have a budget, which seems to be a mistake. I hope to fix it soon. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. thanks for looking!

The concept is by the talented. Jeon JongUk He gave me permission.

765_max.jpg

REALFINAL1.jpg
screenshot2.jpg

contour.jpg

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your budget really depends on the intended platform & use. For a modern PC with a decent video card 40k is quite low for the environment; the current CryEngine specs claim a bit over a million triangles for a scene (including characters, weapons, etc.) Of course, don't add polygons just for the sake of numbers, and test the scene on what you'd imagine the real target platform to be; you'll want somewhere between 30 & 60 fps.

The chimney could use some love. At the very least, use a normal map on the stones, although this particular spot really calls out for a displacement map. The color itself is rather bland - take a closer look at the reference, and you'll notice that each stone is a slightly different color.

The sacks and pieces of cloth are two areas that could use some extra polygons.

Many of the props don't seem to match the relative size of their concept counterparts. The bucket in front of the table and the buckets filled with bread are some of the more obvious examples. It might help you if you add a reference character to get an idea for the proper scale of everything.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    If you are not working on mobile stuff or prev-gen (?), then polycount is not an issue. Throw as many as polygons you need to make object look smooth (just don't make 20k tris apples (; ), and worry about reducing them later.
    Creating lod levels is also no longer issue. Most major engine come with automatic lod generation tools (and even texture reduction). At the distances the LOD pop up, it is really irrevelant how it look as long as you can tell is the same object from X distance.
    The true issue is object size (GPU can grind absurd amout of triangles per second, but they first must get them), so it it less about triangle count and more about final object size.

There are also shaders and lighting and other effects invovle, and they will eat up perfomance much quicker, than raw triangle count.

Either way I like what you have done. Just consider adding more contrast in lighting between top and bottom. It looks to uniform and top should be darker.
  • kmactastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kmactastic polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the replies. This clears some things up for me. I am shooting for something on PC, not mobile so I definitely have some more polys to spend. I will definitely be revisiting the chimney since its kind of a focal piece. It is the first thing I did in this environment, and not the best....

I didn't even notice how dark the concept is on top till you pointed it out to me. I hope to update this within the next couple of weeks. Thanks so much!