Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New Sci Fi Console Kajigger

Hey PC, I have been working on this guy for a while now and I think it's ready for some fresh eyes on it.

ZvMAeqjh.jpg
zD7eh6mh.jpg
vE4OUfYh.jpg
6DPkMGvh.jpg
zxVIIpch.jpg
6hgTIXHh.jpg

Concept by Phil Wohr!
http://artofphilwohr.blogspot.com/2009/04/environment-work.html

The main problems I am still looking to fix are the alpha map for the window, the spec map for the screens, and a gloss map at all.

If you have any advice on gloss maps in general, I'd greatly appreciate it!

As far as the alpha map, for some reason in 3ds max, 3point shader isnt displaying anything but basic primitives through the opaque window. My idea was to duplicate some of the model itself and place it on the other side of the window, but when I do that, nothing shows up. :(

Aside from that, any critique would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    keep up the good work!
    Everything is too green, maybe its the lighting. It would be nice to see more color contrast :)
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update!
    72ihH2u.jpg

I changed the lighting slightly and the green-ness of the diff and spec maps. I think the lighting is making it pop more now :)

Thank you for the crit!

Fixing the alpha issue and gloss maps are on the to-do list today.. probably starting with the gloss maps. I am in the process of recovering my Marmoset license, so I hope to throw this model into the toolbag soon.

Anymore crits are welcome!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty good.

One thing that really stands out to me is the group of 3 pipes on each side. I'm having a hard time understanding what type of surface its supposed to be. Right now, the highlight looks really sharp and it looks like wet plastic.

Thats something that using a gloss map can help fix.
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit! The gloss maps helped with those pipes a ton. I also messed around with the spec map to make a ring of chrome around the center.

dKcuI7m.jpg

I spent the better part of this morning looking into gloss maps more fully. I was also lucky enough to have my Marmoset license recovered today, so the rest of my day was spent moving it over and setting up the scene in there. I REALLY like the result over the 3point shader. I think I am close to finished now, if not already. I will keep an ear open to crits however, so lemme know what you think. :)
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More shots/angles!

2.jpg
    5.jpg
    3.jpg
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    Looks cool.

The fact that every surface has ware on it and chipped paint does not make sense to me.....
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    I don't mind the wear and tear all over, It helps sell the piece as old and used, even if its in places rarely used.
    nevertheless looks awesome
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the crits and comments!

Most of the wear was aimed to make it look like its super humid/hot and the actual chemical coating of the metal is wearing out from the edges/weak points.

Its a workin machine!