Hello everyone !
This is my first post here
I just started a personnal project for my upcoming portfolio in order not to have only schoolwork.
So I decided to learn the UDK Landscape system and fill the map with assets and foliage. The map is inspired by Tolkien's description of Arnor, one of the northernmost kingdoms in Middle Earth and by some pictures from Scotland and New Zealand.
For now I've already done the landscape itself and 4 diffrerents rocks (both following Amir's awesome tutorials), some foliage and a brick wall.
The whole map from far away
The 4 Rocks models
But I'm running into some troubles espacially with lighting. It seems like the lighting doesn't work the same for the landscape than for the static meshes.
- The foliages which look good in unlit view get some randomly strange shadows. I don't think these are coming from the normals of the mesh but from the lighting.
- I also made a small transition mesh to blend between the grass and some walls. it almost looks seamless in unlit view but when in lit there is an obvious seam. Even worse, the color of the mesh (which picks the color from the landscape) became different than the one from the Landscape.
Maybe I should look into CustomLighting to get consistent shading between landscape and meshes.
I'm also using the UDK morning template for now, it may have something to do with my issues.
To do list :
- add some more rocks and foliages, bushes and small trees.
- add some ruins, maybe a castle or watchtower on top of a mountain.
- fill the map :poly124:
- maybe add some rain and wind with a cloudy sky.
- add a river and some ponds
- make the tiling textures dissapear in the distance
- The foliages fading in the distance gives some pixels artifacts, I'll try to get a more blurry transition.
Any feedback would be awesome !
And sorry for bad English